Home   Sport   Article

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS AND PHOTO GALLERY: Last-gasp blow for Spalding United

A goal deep into added time denied Spalding United at a frosty Sir Halley Stewart Field.

On a sticky playing surface thawing from a dusting of overnight snow and frost, the game was a somewhat scrappy affair fought out mainly in midfield with few scoring opportunities.

The game had a goalless feeling throughout but ended in despair for the Tulips with Philip Watt breaking the deadlock amid a goalmouth melee.

Frickley Athletic had tipped the October meeting 2-1 and, since a chance of manager, had been enjoying a free-scoring run - having slammed Stamford 4-1 the previous week.

However, they had their work cut out to overcome a hard-working Spalding side who included experienced new signing Taron Hare from Matlock Town at right-back.

He made an early impact with a crucial goalline clearance to deny Tyler Walton.

The Tulips suffered an early setback with midfielder Jack Brownell limping off and being replaced by Jack Fixter.

Michael Duggan comfortably saved from Jamie Guire while at the other end Fixter fully tested Hugo Warhurst.

The best opportunity came in the opening minutes of the second half.

Kegan Everington did well to gain possession midway into the visitors’ half and delivered the ball with precision to the advancing Romario Martin but his shot from 12 yards curled inches wide of the target with Warhurst struggling.

Shortly afterwards Rudy Misambo was not too far away with a powerful header from Everington’s corner.

With 15 minutes remaining another Everington corner, this time inswinging, was deflected wide of the far post.

Frickley piled on the pressure in the closing stages and the home defence were finally beaten in the fourth of six minutes added on.

Spalding manager Matt Easton said: "We weathered the storm in the first half and got on top after the break.

"We defended brilliantly and created chances. Losing like that sums up the way it's going at the moment.

"I thought Taron was man of the match. The back four looked solid against a good frontline.

"We've made a lot of changes to the squad and the players need to gel quickly.

"We'll have at least three training sessions before the next game and we are looking for a friendly on Saturday.

"We are not planning to bring in anyone else but a couple of players will probably leave."

Midfielder Archie Moyses was an unused substitute on Saturday following his return from a spell at Sleaford Town.

Conor Marshall and Ellis Humble were left out of the squad while Leon Mettam and Jenk Acar were ruled out due to injury.

Easton is hopeful that Acar and Mettam will be fit for the next game at Carlton Town on February 16.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More