Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Round-up of the weekend action from Spalding Hockey Club

More news, no ads


Spalding maintained their grip on top spot in Division One North of the East League after a 4-1 home success over Wisbech Town on Saturday.

In the eye of storm Arwen, Spalding started strongly by relentlessly attacking the Wisbech defence which was soon rewarded with a goal.

A quick counter, led by Tom Mayhew, hurt Wisbech and led to the ball gloriously falling to Stuart Cunnington within the D who fiercely flicked it into the top right corner of the net.

Fourteen-year-old Harry Maplethorpe (maroon shirt) made his first team debut.
Fourteen-year-old Harry Maplethorpe (maroon shirt) made his first team debut.

Spalding kept up the pressure, pouring forward which ended with Cunnington conducting the attack and playing a sublime pass into the D.

Will Baker attempted to stop the ball yet found the back of the net which took him by surprise as Spalding had a 2-0 lead going into the break.

At the start of the second half, Spalding were battling the storm and had to also survive a barrage of Wisbech penalty corners.

One penalty corner saw Will Baker kick the ball expertly off the line which resulted in a stroke and a five minute yellow card that Wisbech dispatched.

But, almost immediately after the push back, Spalding looked after the ball and some good movement and passing resulted in a cross finding Jacob Baker flying in at the back post and roofing the ball into the net.

A scrappy period of the game followed with green cards being dished out which disrupted the flow of the game.

Spalding saw the game out professionally and Jacob Baker added his second of the afternoon with a solo goal that put them firmly in control at 4-1.

A special mention to Harry Naylor and Harry Maplethorpe who made impressive first team debuts at the age of 14.

Spalding 2nds went down to a 7-1 away reversal at St Ives with Steve Rogers scoring their goal.

Spalding 4ths hit back from a goal down to run out convincing 7-1 winners in their home clash with in-form Cambridge South 5ths.

They started the game poorly and couldn't string any passes together or keep any possession.

This led to Cambridge attacking hard and Spalding having to sit and defend.

Eventually Cambridge won a short corner and, after a well-worked routine, they found the back of the net.

This was a wake-up call for Spalding and after about 15 minutes they found some rhythm and started to string some passes together.

This led to Dave Burrell picking up the ball in their D from a pass from Willem Borst where his cross took a deflection from a Cambridge player and found its way to the back of the net to level the match.

Spalding continued with this momentum, moving the ball all over the pitch, which fell to Aaron Scholes who passed to Matt McManamon who span around the keeper and slotted it home.

Spalding then won a short corner not long after and Jason Naylor passed it out to Glenn Perkins who shot first time and found the bottom corner for a 3-1 interval lead.

The half-time team talk was centred around carrying on where they had left off and a long ball from Perkins found Ben Scholes at the top of their D and took it around the defender and slotted it into the bottom corner to make it 4-1.

Quickly after the goal the ball was moved around at pace and fell to Scholes again who slapped it home.

With some momentum behind them, quickly after Cambridge restarted the game, Spalding won back the ball and Scholes passed it across to Burrell who squared it back to Scholes who slotted it home to complete his hat-trick.

Cambridge didn't have many chances in the second half but the one they did saw keeper Steve Thurlbourne pull off a fine save.

A misplaced shot from Scholes then found Tiago Read at the back post who tapped it in to make it 7-1 and complete the scoring.

Spalding 5ths also netted seven goals in their victory over Kettering 5ths.

It was very close in the first 25 minutes with a few stray passes as the pitch played faster due to the rain.

Spalding then scored one goal, and finding a flow in the play, went on to bet again after an excellent passing move.

Brendan Atkin and Adolfo Chantre played a few one-two passes, with Chantre playing a pass across the face of goal, for Fin Roy to tap it home.

Another goal before the end of the half left Spalding with a comfortable lead.

The second half started the way the first ended as Spalding had most of the possession and the opportunities and handled the opposition’s attacks well.

They found a couple more goals to make their lead five with Roy managing to grab his hat-trick.

A few opposition players made some decent attacking dribbles but were cut out well in the defence and midfield.

Two more goals followed and the gulf in quality was fairly obvious with Atkin (2), Cameron Roy, Ed Sly also on target for Spalding.

Spalding managed to maintain their winning streak by gaining their 10th consecutive win with a 5-2 victory over Cambridge City on Saturday.

They started off well by putting pressure on the Cambridge defence and it wasn’t long before Maddie Haunch put Spalding into the lead by slotting the ball past the keeper.

Maintaining their strong attack, Ellie Holland received the ball out wide and ran into the D to score from a great hit into the far corner of the goal.

Some great link up play between the midfield and forwards led to Spalding gaining a short corner just before the half-time whistle.

The ball was pushed out to Evie Maltby on the left of the D who played a great pass towards the goal that Georgina Maplethorpe deflected into the top of the net to put Spalding 3-0 up at half-time.

Cambridge City came out strongly in the second half, forcing a mistake in the Spalding defence and unfortunately gaining a goal back.

Not being fazed by this, Ellie Holland soon went on to score her second goal before another mistake allowed Cambridge to score again, however, Spalding came back to gain a fifth goal before the final whistle.

The last goal came from a great ball being played up the pitch by Evie Maltby, finding Haunch who took it around a defender and played it past the keeper to seal the win.

Georgina Maplethorpe and Harriet Mowbray were joint players of the match for their great work in the midfield and amazing running up front.

Spalding Ladies 2nds shared the spoils with Cambridge South 3s in a 1-1 draw at a stormy Surfleet on Saturday.

Straight from the whistle, both teams showed they wanted the ball.

Midfielders Amy Naylor, Roz Dennis, Maisie Foden, Alison Willson and Kelly Tizzano worked hard to push up and get back due to the game moving so frequently to each end.

The forward line of Lauren Spenceley, Erin McMurray and Charlotte Morris pushed their press hard to pressurise the opposition’s through balls enabling the midfield to trap the ball on occasions.

Kate Amess kept the substitutions strong by becoming a utility and roaring between midfield and the forward line.

Cambs South and Spalding both won several penalty corners but were not able to capitalise.

The visitors then scored early in the second half and Spalding kept attacking the ball to eventually be awarded with a Roz Dennis goal from the top of the D just five minutes before the final whistle.

The strong defensive force of Zoe Moore, Samantha Maltby, Sophie Smith and Freya Lee kept several shots on goal at bay.

Unquestionably, joint player of the match went to Lee for her sliding tackles and Smith for her continuous ability to stop the ball and play it back to her team.

Spalding will take their point and move ahead to the next game and, with team spirit and determination, to fight for promotion.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More