Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Long Sutton Hockey Club share the spoils with City of Peterborough in East League match

More news, no ads


A rousing second half display earned Long Sutton a point against City of Peterborough 3rds on Saturday after an entertaining 5-5 draw.

Sutton had trailed 4-1 at half-time in the East League Division 2NW clash before storming back to lead 5-4 only to then concede a late leveller against fourth-placed Peterborough.

They had fielded a strong side following a week off and welcomed back McKenzie East as they went into the fixture with confidence.

Josh Baker. Photo: Ken Smith (52844317)
Josh Baker. Photo: Ken Smith (52844317)

The Sutton side started brightly and were first to score, Josh Baker picking up a loose ball in Peterborough's defence and strolling into the D before dispatching it high into the netting.

Shortly after captain Matt Holmes saw his game end early only five minutes following a finger injury from a short corner.

The bright start was then abruptly halted for the remainder of the first half as Sutton were unable to string passes together and Peterborough took advantage to score four times without reply.

A brutally honest team talk and a reshuffle of formation at the break saw Sutton come out determined to get back into the match.

Peterborough tried to hold the ball by passing around the the back to which the forwards of East and Tyler Hagan punished their mistakes with a vengeance.

They picked up the loose ball and linked well with Nick Ellis and Brad Sargeant out wide as well as with the midfield.

Chances weren't far behind and two minutes after the restart Josh Fyson calmly slotted home from a short corner.

The fightback was on and no longer than two minutes later Baker added another with a neatly-taken penalty flick into the top left corner.

This was swiftly followed up 30 seconds later by Fyson's second as he picked up the miss trap on a short corner and went round the first two runners before simply tapping into the back board to level the scores after just 15 minutes of the second half.

Josh Fyson. Photo: Ken Smith (52844320)
Josh Fyson. Photo: Ken Smith (52844320)

Sutton were now more than back in the fight and it was Peterborough who looked down and out.

With the midfield and forward line still too much to handle for Peterborough's defence, a quickly-taken long corner from Baker and a neat reverse from Fyson saw Long Sutton regain the lead.

It was about at this stage that Peterborough woke up and started to play hockey by making their way into the Sutton half.

For the majority of the half, they were given no opportunity with keeper James Cliff and the defence of Micheal Donaghy, Dan Oldfield and Sam Gray swiftly dulling any fast counter-attacks that came their way.

The whole side had pulled together to defend but were unfortunate to concede with less than three minutes to play.

Sutton did have one final throw of the dice with a last short corner in the dying moments of the game which came to no avail.

It was a bitter sweet moment for Sutton after salvaging a point but narrowly missing out on two more.

The men's second team were handed a 5-0 walkover win by March who conceded their fixture while the third team were beaten 5-0 by league leaders Cambridge Nomads 3rds.

The ladies second team were beaten 2-1 in a friendly by Wisbech 3rds with Wendy Canham scoring their goal.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More