Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Round-up of the weekend action from Long Sutton Hockey Club

More news, no ads


Long Sutton ended the first half of the East League campaign with a derby victory against Spalding 2nds in Saturday's East League Division 2NW clash.

They fielded a strong side which welcomed back Matt Holmes from injury and Cameron Ibrahim.

The opening exchanges didn't go as Sutton would have hoped and they soon found themselves 2-0 down after Spalding's strong start saw them lead through goals from Harry Naylor and Steve Rogers.

Pelicans' midfield chase back against a Long Sutton counter attack. Picture: Richard S Brown. (53768502)
Pelicans' midfield chase back against a Long Sutton counter attack. Picture: Richard S Brown. (53768502)

However, conceding the second goal seemed to wake Long Sutton up and they started to put their mark on the game.

They had halved the deficit within two minutes as Josh Baker worked the ball well past the keeper.

With the majority of the play now in Sutton's favour for the remainder of the half, they forced an array of short corrners as Spalding were unable to control the their high press.

They levelled the scores with five minutes of the half remaining through Josh Fyson following a short corner.

An honest team talk at the break saw the men in green set to right the wrongs in the second half.

They started brightly in the opening 15 minutes with the majority of the play in and around Spalding's 25 with Fyson, Baker and Micheal Donaghy all coming close.

However, in unfortunate circumstances, the last 20 minutes were then a touch-and-go affair as Brad Sargeant and Dom Ibrahim were both shown yellow cards and it would be during this period that Spalding would retake the lead from a short corner converted by Pete Wright.

In typical Sutton fashion, they were ready for the fight and again would mount pressure in Spalding's half which in turn led to a yellow for their centre back that started an onslaught.

It was only the fine form of Spalding's keeper Rob Callaby that would prevent Baker from adding more to the scoresheet on multiple occasions.

His second eventually came with 10 minutes to play and then finally five minutes later Fyson scored from the top of the D to give Sutton the lead for the first time.

The side then defended hard to see out the dying stages of the game for a 4-3 victory that wraps up the first half of the season.

It has been a season of a mixed bag of results, a couple of what ifs and maybes for some and a couple of great escapes in others.

Overall though a solid start for a side who have now cemented their place in the league and look to go higher after Christmas.

The men's second continued their push for honours with a 4-0 victory against third-placed Cambridge South.

Ed White struck twice in a strong Sutton showing with Tyler Hagan and Frazer Watt also on target.

A first half hat-trick from Gary Hales was enough for Long Sutton 3rds as they weathered a strong Peterborough response in the second half to run out 3-2 winners in their match.

The ladies first team picked up a valuable point against a high-placed Pelicans side.

Hannah Baker opened the scoring before Pelicans hit back with two goals, one late in the first half and another early in the second, before Amber Jones netted to level the scores late on.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More