SPALDING RFC: Town ease into last four

Double: Jordan Andrade ran in two of Town's tries at Sleaford.'Photo by MIKE DAVISON
Double: Jordan Andrade ran in two of Town's tries at Sleaford.'Photo by MIKE DAVISON
Have your say

SLEAFORD RFC 0 SPALDING RFC 50: RAMPANT Town eased into the last four of the Lincs Cup with a huge derby win on Tuesday night.

Jordan Andrade and Harry Brown helped themselves to a brace of tries each, while George Brown, Jim Williams, Richie Craig and Mark Haighton also went over the line under the floodlights.

Spalding skipper Harry Sharman admitted his side were in cruise control at Sleaford – and he hopes it’ll spark a Midlands One East success over fellow strugglers Loughborough on Saturday (2.15am).

Sharman said: “We played some great rugby at times, but I’m fairly disappointed that we didn’t win by more.

“There’s always a bit of banter between the teams and I think Sleaford thought they could turn us over. But we did the job and were even able to blood a few youngsters.

“It was a nice confidence boost. In the league it’s getting to the stage where we need to start winning games to stay in the league, especially at home.”

With Sleaford currently two levels below Town in the Midlands pyramid, Sharman’s men were always strong favourites.

Harry Brown ran in the first try from a scrum deep in the Sleaford 22, with Dave Hankinson converting. Hankinson then broke through the centre before the ball found its way to George Brown, who went over in the corner. Town’s kicker converted again.

Soon after, Craig grabbed Spalding’s third score after a neat cut inside, leaving Hankinson a simple kick.

On a rare attack Sleaford spurned a penalty, before Harry Brown beat a man and crossed the line in the corner for a 26-0 half-time lead.

Andrade increased the lead after the break after deftly chipping the ball over the defence for himself to run on to. He doubled his tally minutes later. Hankinson – who converted the score – found Andrade with a deft overarm pass, allowing him to score at a canter.

The tries kept on coming, with Williams scoring on the wing after receiving a pass from Rob Lucas.

In the final minute it was Haighton’s turn to go over. After an effective game in the lineout, he was on the end of a pass to score the seventh try of the evening, leaving Hankinson a simple conversion.

Although Spalding’s semi-final fate has yet to be decided, Sharman’s side will now fancy their chances against anyone.