Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Round-up of the weekend action from Long Sutton Hockey Club

More news, no ads


Long Sutton 2nds regained top spot in Division 4NW of the East League after bouncing back from last week's first defeat of the season.

The quirk of the fixture list saw Sutton taking on City of Peterborough 6ths who had replaced them at the top of the table.

And, after an entertaining contest, it was Long Sutton who ran out 4-3 winners to regain their two-point advantage at the helm over the defeated visitors.

With only a couple of changes to the squad from last week, Sutton had been making all of the right noises pre-match.

Both teams started well and chances were at either end as the returning Jeremy Watt in midfield soon struck up an understanding with Stefan Fox and Ed White in repelling the skilful Peterborough midfield.

The ever-reliable Simon Clarke, Tom Baguley and Adam Taylor were their usual miserly selves in defence and it looked like the game would be goalless at half-time.

Alex Canham and Will White both forced good saves from the Peterborough keeper while Adam Sisson made some good stops at the other end.

Peterborough took the lead shortly before the break and led 1-0 at half time in what was to be the first test of Sutton's true fighting qualities this season.

After a defeat last week and being a goal down to the unbeaten team who were top of the table, could Sutton show the fight to come back?

The answer to be fair was a resounding yes as youngsters Ben Hales and Josh Smith fought like tigers while Watt and Fox battled hard.

The White brothers Ed and Will began to gain some control in the midfield and then there was Frazer Watt who took the second half by storm.

It was no surprise when Ed White found him in the D to hit an equaliser which inspired Sutton to repeat the move.

Ed White again made the chance and Frazer finished it to make it 2-1 to Sutton.

Peterborough were not unbeaten without reason though and they pushed forward and scored an equaliser.

A barnstorming half which was enjoyed by the watching crowd saw Sutton match their resolve and, following a short corner slip from Watt, Canham finished well to make it 3-2.

Back came Peterborough and earned a penalty flick that Maddie Hinch would not have saved let alone Sutton keeper Sisson so the score was 3-3 with 10 minutes left.

Sutton pushed forward looking for a winner and with seven minutes to go Will White stole the ball in midfield, fed it to his brother Ed who found Watt whose precise finish gave Sutton a 4-3 lead.

Peterborough tried to respond but this time Sutton negotiated the final throes to return to the league's summit.

Long Sutton's first team produced a stunning display to inflict a heavy 11-goal defeat on Division 2NW high-flyers St Ives 2nds on Saturday.

If table position and run of form was going to decide a game it could easily be decided as a tough game for Sutton.

However, this wasn't to be the case and, with a strong warm up, hopes were high as Josh Fyson sent an early effort over the crossbar.

Fyson then put Long Sutton ahead with a goal from a well-worked move between himself, Dan Batten and Josh Baker.

The pressure continued and Luke Proctor would soon add his name into the hat after finishing neatly into the bottom corner.

The goals kept flowing and an array of short corners and open play saw chances come with Batten, Baker and Hagan being unlucky not to add to the tally.

The half would come to an end with Sutton leading 4-0 as Fyson completed an early hat-trick.

The second half started in the same vein, the men in green fighting as one which is something they have very much lacked in weeks previous.

A dominant start saw Batten adding an early goal goal that was followed by Baker's first of the afternoon from his usual point of call on a broken down short corner and swiftly followed by a nice tap in for Tyler Hagan to open his tally.

Chances kept coming and coming as St Ives were unable to stop the green army from capitlising with shots at goal and short corners.

Baker would add his second to the game swiftly followed by his third before a diving tap in from Batten for his second.

As the game came into its final stages, it looked as if the men in green were set at 10 but with less than a minute to go a wide Ollie Taylor effort found Fyson to add his fourth and rounded off the scoring for the day.

Special mention must go to Dan Oldfield, Sam Gray, Micheal Donaghy and James Cliff in the goal whose strong defensive effort was merely shadowed by the attacking performance but in fact when called upon the defence kept the side in the fight and heading for their first clean sheet of the season.

A valiant second half fightback saw the men's third team beaten 4-3 by City of Peterborough 7ths with Gary Hales hitting a hat-trick for Long Sutton.

The ladies first and second teams both suffered 2-0 and 1-0 defeats respectively.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More