Home   Sport   Article

RUGBY: Midlands Three East (North): Spalding v Tupton (home walk over after Tupton were unable to raise a side

Spalding's first team had a free Saturday after their scheduled match against Tupton was conceded.

The Derbyshire side were unable to call on a full team for the Midlands Three East (North) match, handing Town a bonus point win which moves them up to fourth.

It also leaves George Reid's side still unbeaten at home and level on points with Ashfield who they meet next week.

This meant Spalding's second team could grab the limelight with an impressive win over Stewarts & Lloyd (S & L) 32-19.

Action from Spalding 2nds game against Stewart & Lloyds at Memorial Field.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG-081218-045TW.
Action from Spalding 2nds game against Stewart & Lloyds at Memorial Field.Photo by Tim Wilson.SG-081218-045TW.

Playing some excellent rugby in phases, with pace in the backs and excellent offloading, this was a highly entertaining game for the so-called Nomads.

Early on, the visitors showed greater teamwork and with their experienced forwards controlling the scrums, they opened the scoring with a converted try.

However, Ed Booth, a recent returnee to Town, brought the Nomads back into the game with a devastating burst of speed through the middle of the park.

This was followed, from a lineout, by the forwards setting up a driving maul which, with half an hour gone, suddenly gave the Nomads a three-point lead.

Spalding's young guns in the backs, including first team regular Ben Shields at scrum half and Charlie Johnson at fly half, were starting to exert their authority.

At the same time, the forwards had built momentum, especially at the breakdown, getting their possessing in first and winning penalties as S & L were slow to roll away on too many occasions.

Stationed on the visitors 22-metre line, the ball was whipped out to Johnson and with a delightful ste- back inside, he beat his defender to run in for a try from ten metres out.

A Booth conversion made it a ten-point half-time lead for the Nomads.

Another try for Town came as Booth arched round his tacklers at pace before S & L's excellent kicker landed a couple of penalties to exert their own pressure

Then a clear overlap of three on one set up a forward'stry near the posts and suddenly there were only three points between the sides.

With plenty of subs on the bench, Nomads captain Julian Davisrang the changes and with just about his first touch of the ball, left winger Henry Wardman scored another good try by the corner flag.

Another replacement, Ash Piccaver wrapped the game up with a typically strong carry through the middle.

This try was all the more important after the Nomads had beenreduced to 14 men with a red card for Harry Cole.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More