Title for Spalding to complete plans

Spalding ladies first team celebrate their championship
Spalding ladies first team celebrate their championship
Have your say

Spalding men’s first team sealed a second successive championship with victory at the Olympic Park.

The 2-1 win at already-relegated Crostyx means the three-year development plan to get into the Premier B Division has been completed in two seasons.

However, they made it very difficult for themselves having to start the game with only nine players as one car somehow ended up at Wembley on the other side of London.

For the first 20 minutes Spalding were disciplined and they reached a full team before half-time at 0-0.

The second half saw Spalding play much better and they went ahead when a short corner was despatched by Stuart Cunnington into the bottom corner.

Some ill discipline from both sides led to four yellow cards and three greens as Cunnington and Connor Allen were sin-binned for dissent.

Crostyx were awarded a short corner with seven minutes remaining which they worked well to equalise.

Spalding finally upped the tempo and managed to create more chances.

From another short corner Cunnington opted to strike the ball which bounced up off the pitch and was deflected into the goal from what looked like a Crostyx knee.

Crostyx appealed strongly against the goal, but it stood and they were reduced to nine men for dissent.

The second team lost 4-2 to St Neots, Spalding 3rd went down 3-0 at Horncastle and the fourth team beat St Ives 4-1.

The ladies first team ended their title-winning season with a 6-3 victory over Pelicans at Glen Park.

Steph Cooke equalised before Katie Gray struck twice, only for the visitors to get back on level terms.

Gray’s 30th goal of the season was followed by efforts from Karen Timby and Jacqui Hunter to secure the win.

The second team won 4-0 at Spilsby while Spalding 3rd saw off Louth 2nd 3-0.

Long Sutton ladies first team ended the campaign with three goals on the road.

Leanne Woodhead struck twice and Robyn Gribble was also on target in the victory at Wisbech Town 2nd.

Captain Charlene Leuty said: “This was a good performance for Sutton’s last game of the season and we are all ready for the challenge that awaits us next season!”

The second team lost 4-0 to Leadenham who scored three times before half-time.

The men’s second team went down 8-1 at Cambridge City 4th, Sutton 3rd lost 5-0 to Leadenham and the fourth team beat Louth 2nd 2-0.