SUPERMOTO: Stafford secures a terrific treble

Jumping with joy: Ben Stafford in action at Three Sisters and (below) on the winner's step of the podium. Photos by GARY NAYLOR
Jumping with joy: Ben Stafford in action at Three Sisters and (below) on the winner's step of the podium. Photos by GARY NAYLOR
Have your say

BLISTERING Ben Stafford enjoyed another sublime supermoto hat-trick at the weekend.

The Whaplode ace dominated all three races at round six of the Norasport British Supermoto Championship at Three Sisters – keeping him in pole position for back-to-back titles.

Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford

Stafford showed sparks of brilliance on his D3 Racing KTM 250cc bike, where he started from the front of the grid for a sixth time on the spin.

With a larger field lining up on the grid – including two guest riders from France – Stafford took the first race of the day, leading from the front and putting in sturdy lap times of 58.5 seconds after a qualifying time of 58.9secs.

In race two, he once again dominated from the front and eased his bike around the eight-lap race to take a very comfortable 15 second lead from his next rival on the finishing line.

There was a shock to the system in the third and final race as another rider jumped ahead of Stafford from the start, but it was only a matter of seconds before Stafford regained the lead and pulled away to take his last win of the day with an eight second cushion.

Stafford was back in the saddle 24 hours later for Sunday’s open Elite race – and he had a brand new machine to ride.

Jumping aboard a 350cc KTM bike, built by the D3 team overnight in the paddock, the extra horsepower was to stand him in good stead.

After three laps of free practice it was straight into qualifying. Stafford pushed his bike to the limit as he gained him his best-ever position in this category of ninth out of 25 riders.

However, the teenager was out-muscled out at the first corner of the opening race and found himself down in 12th position.

After several laps and some timely overtaking he found himself in tenth position, before eventually moving up to a commendable eighth place.

Race two saw Stafford on the inside line going into the first corner, but two other riders got tangled up in front off him, leaving the high-octane racer with nowhere to go but off the track.

Restarting in last position he regained two places before his bike gave up on him and ended his race.

The final race was always going to be hard with Stafford starting from the rear.

But the youngster always digs deep when faced with a challenge and he set about moving through the pack before going down hard at a high speed, which ruined his chances.

Despite the tough end to the weekend, Stafford’s camp paid tribuite to Neil Crayston at D3 for the supplying his machine once again.

Stafford also thanked his sponsors and family for their continued support.

The next round is at Blyton (North Lincolnshire) for a three day event from August 27-29.