Pair for Gribble but Sutton just miss out

Action from Long Sutton's 3-2 defeat to City of Peterborough. Photo: Tim Wilson
Action from Long Sutton's 3-2 defeat to City of Peterborough. Photo: Tim Wilson
Have your say

Long Sutton ladies first team were edged out in the top-of-the-table clash at home to City of Peterborough.

With Peterborough second in the league and Long Sutton third, both teams served up their best to make for an entertaining game which brought five fabulous goals, numerous chances, a string of quality saves and a nail-biting finish.

The visitors took the lead on 11 minutes when a loose ball was picked up nicely by Tierney Augustine who fired from the top of the D – an unstoppable shot which was hammered past keeper Lorraine Wallis.

Five minutes later the same player again threw caution to the wind with Augustine using her strength well to hold off defenders before firing an equally powerful shot that flew into the net and left Wallis no chance.

On 22 minutes Jeorgia Carr won possession and made a smart pass into the path of Robyn Gribble who made 12 metres quickly and with great stick and ball control to bamboozle the Peterborough defenders and keeper, she fired firmly home to get Sutton on the scoreboard.

With Long Sutton well and truly on their game, it was only a matter of time before they would draw level.

Leah Goodley, Carr and Leanne Woodhead combined to set up Gribble who, from the edge of the visitors’ D, hit a peach of a shot which gave the Peterborough keeper no chance.

With 13 minutes of the second half gone Peterborough again took the initiative through Lyn Tancred who took her chance extremely well.

Despite their best efforts, Sutton couldn’t claim a point.

Wallis admitted: “We are disappointed but make no mistake we showed great character to come from two goals down against a top team who perhaps just deserved the win on the day.”

The second team lost 3-0 to Horncastle.

The men’s first team lost 3-1 to Letchworth despite Joshua Fyson’s leveller before half-time.

Letchworth deservedly took the lead through a deflection from a short 
corner and, although Sutton responded well, they were reduced to nine men following yellow cards. Back to full strength and as Sutton pushed for an equaliser, Letchworth added a third.

Sutton 2nd won 5-1 in a match overshadowed by an injury received by a Bourne Deeping 2nd player that resulted in 30 stitches, a smashed tooth and being ruled out for the rest of the season. The scorers were Ben Shore (2), Alex Canham, Luke Jackson and Stef Fox.

The second team were also denied by a late equaliser from St Neots in a replay of the match abandoned with three minutes to go when Sutton were 3-0 up. This time they took the lead through Adam Sisson in the first half and conceded three minutes from the end.

The third team went down 5-0 at Cambridge South 3rd.

Sutton 4th thrashed Bourne Deeping 6th 10-2, eclipsing their six-goal win on the season’s opening day.

James Baker surpassed his hat-trick of that match by scoring four from open play, set-piece specialist Ian White bagged a hat-trick and there were also good strikes from Harry Synnott, Luke Lovegrove and John Sullivan.