MOTORSPORT: Lead cut despite top four finishes

editorial image
Have your say

BEN Wilson saw his Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport championship lead cut to 36 points after two top four finishes at Donington Park over the weekend.

The Kirton ace was unable to match the speed of title rival Alastair Seeley, who took the double win at the Leicestershire circuit.

Wilson was a fighting second in the first race, but struggled to make his Gearlink Kawasaki work to his advantage on Sunday and brought it home in fourth place.

Starting from a front row grid position in Saturday’s 12-lap sprint race, Wilson got the hole shot into Redgate just ahead of Seeley but was unable to shake off his opponent and he was overhauled as they negotiated the Esses on lap three.

The pair soon pulled clear of the following riders but despite his best efforts the Lincolnshire ace was unable to regain his lead and had to settle for second place at the chequered flag.

The 29-year-old said: “I am happy enough with second. I lost the front as I went through Craner Curves on lap three and decided to watch the gap and just control it.

“It was damage limitation as I needed to think of the championship and pick up points sooner than push too hard and maybe not score any points at all.”

Things didn’t go to plan for Sunday’s feature race as Seeley beat him on the run to Redgate on the first lap.

Wilson managed to overhaul him but failed to maintain the lead and Seeley regained control at the front leaving Wilson to fall into the clutches of Christian Iddon, who relegated the championship leader down to third on lap three.

Although the action was very close, Wilson was unable to overtake Iddon and the three were joined by Paul Young. The battle continued between the four riders with Young passing both Wilson and Iddon on lap nine.

But just as Wilson moved ahead of Iddon to regain third place the race was stopped because of rain.

The restart was scheduled to run over seven laps, but this time Wilson was unable to make any headway and was pushed down to fourth place. The race was again red flagged on lap four when David Paton’s engine blew.

A result was declared with Wilson being awarded fourth place and 13 championship points taking his total to 391. Seeley picked up the maximum 50 points – making it game on with five races remaining.

“We just couldn’t get the bike to do what we wanted this weekend, “said Wilson.

“It’s not an ideal result for us but at least we didn’t crash and we picked up another 33 points. We have to put this behind us and move on to Silverstone where we will try to set the record straight and get back to winning races.”

The next round is at Silverstone over the weekend of September 23-25.