MOTORCYCLING: Van Leuven finishes just in front of team-mate

Tom Fisher
Tom Fisher
Have your say

Both G&S Racing Kawasaki riders completed their race at Snetterton in the points in the sixth round of the Superstock 1000 on Sunday with Kevin Van Leuven finishing one place ahead of team-mate Tom Fisher.

Despite having to miss the last round at Knockhill and the two-day test at Snetterton because of his dislocated knee, Fisher was able to take advantage of the settings that were found by Van Leuven and this showed when the pair began their campaign on Friday in free practice.

Kevin Van Leuven

Kevin Van Leuven

They finished the first qualifying session in 15th and 16th but then sat out the final session because of rain.

As the race got under way Van Leuven moved up into ninth position on the opening lap.

But the safety car halted his progress for a couple of laps and when the car left the track he found himself down a place in 10th and one lap later 11th.

He held 11th place until the final lap but crossed the finish line in 12th place – his career best result.

Meanwhile, Fisher was circulating a few places behind and – although he was held up by the first lap crash – he soon recovered to become embroiled in a race-long battle for position, crossing the finish line in 13th place.

The team-mates were elevated up to 10th and 11th when one rider was given a penalty for a dangerous move during the race and another was disqualified after a post-race check.

Team manager Mark Fisher said: “Snetterton was a good round for us.

“We have made some huge steps forward with the Kawasaki and both riders worked hard to bring home the points.

“Kevin took part in the test here a few weeks ago and it made a difference to him. He has been working hard on his riding style and he is proving to be competitive in a quality field.

“Tom wasn’t able to do the test because of his injury but found the information gained by the team very useful.

“He was at a disadvantage because of his leg which is still not 100 per cent and he has a splint on the leg.

“In order to race he removed the splint and then put it back on afterwards to help with the healing. It has to be on for six weeks but should be off by the time we get to Thruxton.

“The Kawasaki worked very well for us this weekend and with us securing two good results and the race winner being on a Kawasaki it just goes to show that it was a bit premature when people said it wasn’t competitive.”

The next round is at Thruxton over the weekend of July 22-24 when both G&S riders will be looking to build on their successful weekend at Snetterton.