HOCKEY: Woodhead at double for Long Sutton to set up derby clash

Long Sutton ladies
Long Sutton ladies
Share this article
Have your say

Long Sutton ladies first team set up Saturday’s top-of-the-table clash at Spalding with a 5-1 home win over Cambridge Nomads.

They moved into second spot with goals from Lisa Baker, Jess Hudson, Leanne Woodhead (2) and Lyn Tancred.

Losing inspirational captain Woodhead for a short spell to a yellow card before the start of the second period didn’t stop Long Sutton from adding three more goals to a 2-0 half-time lead.

Ten-minute purple patches before half-time and in the final quarter of the game were enough to secure three more valuable league points.

Nomads’ first scoring opportunity needed a sharp intervention by in-form goalkeeper Lorraine Wallis.

Sutton failed to convert a sequence of short corners but Baker finally put them into a well-deserved lead.

They kept up the tempo and won a short corner with a minute left in the first half.

This time the ball was injected cleanly by Tancred and Hudson hit a crisp direct shot which flew perfectly into the far corner.

Sutton increased their lead when Woodhead broke through and fired a shot off which the keeper could only deflect into the goal.

Tancred added the fourth, having worked space to receive a crisp pass and she struck the ball from just inside the extreme of the D. The Nomads keeper mistook the shot for being outside of the D and allowed the ball to run into goal, gifting a soft extension to Sutton’s lead.

Nomads got a consolation before Woodhead put the outcome beyond doubt. Lou Southgate passed the ball to Woodhead who turned and hit a shot firmly past the keeper.

Meanwhile, the men’s first team won 4-3 at East London on the Olympic Park.

A short corner was neatly converted by Josh Fyson to put them into a first-minute lead.

Ben Shore doubled the advantage but the score was level by half-time.

Shore scored again and Ross Gavaghan got his first of the season as Sutton saw out the game to take all three points after East London pulled one back.