HOCKEY: Long Sutton ladies get back to winning ways

Long Sutton v Bourne Deeping
Long Sutton v Bourne Deeping
Share this article
Have your say

Captain Leanne Woodhead fired an unstoppable shot to send Long Sutton ladies first team on course against Bourne Deeping.

Woodhead’s strike was then neatly followed up by a smart goal in each half by in-form striker Lyn Tancred to ensure victory and three important points as the season reached halfway.

Photos by Tim Wilson

Photos by Tim Wilson

Both sides had early exchanges with Bourne Deeping winning a series of short corners that came to nothing.

It took 17 minutes before Sutton won their first short corner of the game and Leah Goodley went close.

Soon after, Sutton won a free hit which Jess Hudson took quickly and moved the ball smartly to Charlee Leuty who made good ground before passing to Tancred. She nicely found Woodhead in no mood for pause or hesitation, firing in an absolutely stunning shot which left the visiting keeper motionless.

Woodhead went close again when she flicked and flirted with the ball but the smartness failed to out-wit the Bourne Deeping keeper who foiled her effort.

Action from Peele School

Action from Peele School

With 10 minutes of the first half remaining Tancred increased the home side’s lead, converting well from a nice passage of play.

Connie Gittins proved a menace to the Bourne Deeping defence over the remainder of the half.

Bourne Deeping game out fired up for the second period and Lorraine Wallis in the Sutton goal was soon called upon to make a fine save.

The strong defensive partnerships of Lisa Baker, Gemma Parr, Tania White and Rachael Gadsden were also being worked hard.

Bourne & Deeping’s fast forwards, who clearly thrive on the breakaway, caused much concern for Long Sutton who knew given any chance and with only a two-goal advantage that the away team would be right back in the game if they could get a breakthrough.

However, the staunch defence and in-form Wallis stood resilient to make the game safe.

Woodhead and Tancred had further chances, Jo Bland went very close and Hudson had two great strikes well saved and one further effort cleared from the line.

In a very dominant spell Leuty and Goodley were very unlucky from fine attempts which brought great saves.

In the end it took a great goal-bound shot from Louise Southgate to be touched in by Tancred which provided a well-deserved cushion.

Player of the match was the ever-energetic and enterprising Goodley.

Sutton are at home again on Saturday (1pm), looking to correct a 1-0 defeat in the opening game of the season against Wisbech 2nd.

Long Sutton men’s first team travelled to Upminster looking to get their season back on track but came away with a 3-2 defeat.

The game started slowly but Sutton started to apply the pressure to the home team by camping in their half and winning a succession of short corners, one of which was converted by a drag flick blasted from Josh Fyson.

Sutton allowed the home team to equalise which made the task harder, especially with five green cards at various points throughout the game.

Sutton were then dealt another blow with Jamie Featherstone sustaining an injury.

After half-time, the home team took the lead but Ben Shore fired in to bring the scores level.

With time running out, Upminster took their chance and Sutton had no chance to fight back again.