HOCKEY: Cunnington on top form for leaders

Have your say

Spalding men’s first team maintained their 100 per cent record with a 4-3 win at Blueharts.

The visitors found themselves 2-0 down inside 10 minutes.

However, they dug in and won a short corner just before half-time which man of the match Stuart Cunnington slotted home neatly.

Spalding came out a different side in the second half as they played with real intent.

They levelled the score to 2-2 inside the opening two minutes of the second half with another Cunnington strike.

Continued dominance on the ball allowed them to extend their lead to 4-2 with both goals being scored by Cunnington.

Blueharts got themselves back into the game and put Spalding under some real pressure with seven minutes to go.

They made it 4-3 thanks to a tidy finish in front of goal but Spalding saw out the final fiveminutes by soaking up pressure and being smart with the ball, almost nicking another goal at the end.

The second team picked up their first point of the season with a hard-fought 2-2 draw with Bourne Deeping.

Dan Adams and Matt Day were on target for Spalding.

Spalding 3rd lost 5-0 at St Ives who were in control from start to finish.

The fourth team beat the fifth team 6-0 with goals from James Mayhew, Andy Barlow, Jacob Baker, Shaun Dewing (2) and Ben Scholes.

Meanwhile, Bourne Deeping beat newly-promoted Norwich City 2nd 7-0 at the Dragons Den.

Having lost their opening game to another side who have just come into the league, the Dragons were keen not to make the same mistake twice.

The game started with Norwich setting the pace high and putting the home side on the back foot, winning a number of short corners early on but not able to take advantage and open the scoring.

The Dragons soon won their own short corner which they made sure wasn’t going to waste and put the first goal on the scoreboard courtesy of a Biggs flick.

Starting to take control, the Dragons soon had the majority of the ball and the higher percentage of chances but were unable to upgrade these into short corners or goals.

Finally a chance presented itself when after another shot on goal found young Johnny Allen waiting by the back post to calmly slot the ball past the away keeper.

The second half started much better for the home side, seeing a quick initial goal by Aaron Dawson, followed by Tom Pollard with a first-time shot, net breaker off the post.

Regardless of how hard Norwich tried and despite the Dragons skipper repeatedly giving them help with some dreadful decisions, they were unable to convert any chances.

The Dragons realised it was going to be a successful day and with further goals from Biggs, Ben Slack and Clarkson another three points were added to the tally.