AN IMPRESSIVE showing from Spalding Golf Club’s top ladies’ teams saw them storm into the fifth round of the Mail on Sunday competition.
On a cold, showery afternoon at the Surfleet course, Spalding welcomed Hunstanton in what promised to be a thrilling fourth round tie.
The early exchanges favoured the visitors, but all of the matches were soon finely balanced at the half-way mark.
It was pretty one-sided by the end of the first game though, as Spalding’s Dianne Platt piled on the pressure and won by a convincing 6&4 margin.
Also leading by example was Elaine Hancock, who battled back from three down early on to come through with a 4&2 win.
Hunstanton registered their first point in the third match, which Angela Roper took to the 18th before losing out.
It mattered little though, as Spalding’s Elizabeth Holbrook (3&1) and Pat West (4&2) finished strongly to secure a 4-1 success overall and a place in the next round.
• The winner of the gold medal, played in thoroughly wet and cold conditions, was Hannah Thorold with a very good nett 77. Mags McArdle was second with a nett 80.
• Mary Ellis and Chris Vickers were in great form to win the Coronation Foursomes event with 38 points.
That was five points better than the runners-up score achieved by Elaine Harrison and Margaret Brett. The area final is to be held at the Surfleet course in August.
• Maureen Orwell and Chris Vickers are at the top of the leaderboard in the Australian Spoons competition with 33 points – although further scores can be achieved up to May 11.
• Other results: Friendly matches – Sleaford 1.5 Spalding 2.5 (Angela Roper & Jean Harvey lost 4&2; Ruth Atkins & Elizabeth Holbrook halved; Anita Cross & Anne Ellis won 6&5; Elaine Hancock & Dianne Platt won 2&1). Canwick Park 1 Spalding Ladies’ 3 (Norma Parker & Angela Roper won 2&1; Phyl Borst & Jenny Wilson won 3&2; Maureen Orwell & Carole Hollland lost 2&1; Della Walker & Chris Leggett won 5&3).
• Men’s section: Spalding two men’s scratch teams, this year sponsored by Dalehead Foods of Spalding, both began their South Lincs League campaign in winning form.
The first team, who finished runners-up last year by the narrowest of margins, were hosts to the current champions Stoke Rochford GC – and won convincingly 4-2, with the visitors only snatching their two wins on the last hole.
The winning pairs for Spalding were Oliver Mitchell and Simon Richardson (7&5), Steve Wade and Adam Davey (5&4), James Crampton and Chas Lacey (3&2) and Andy Grimwood and Lloyd Chatham (3&2).
The teams have been strengthened this year by the return of two former club members.
Current England boys’ international Patrick Kelly and county regular Simon Richardson, both with -2 handicaps, are welcome additions to the squad.
Meanwhile, second team skipper Steve Camm and his side had a great start to the season, winning a difficult away game at Blankney 4-2.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Richard Laud and Phil Tweddell (4&3), Andy Warnes and Nick Holmes (2&1), Pete Clark and Harry Hunt (2&1) and Wayne Wallace and Ian Starr (2&1).
• Mixed section: Spalding’s mixed team won their first social match of the season at near neighbours Sutton Bridge by a 4-2 scoreline.
Spalding’s winning pairs were Andy Reedman and Angela Roper (2up), Frank Bell and Jenny Wilson (6&5) and Johnny Walker and Chris Leggett (3&2). Keith Holland and Phyl Borst halved their game, as did Steve Leggett and Maureen Orwell.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding suffered a 5.5-2.5 loss in their latest match at King’s Lynn.
With the course in very good condition, the combinations of Tony Holbrook and Bernard Herbert and Albert Jacobs and Don Wright won their matches, while Shaun Gibson and Mike Gould halved theirs.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
GEDNEY Hill senior skipper Doug Aitken finished in an impressive second place at the South Lincs Seniors’ League Captain’s Day event with 29 points.
The competition winner racked up 30 points to edge out Aitken.
• Result: Kirton Holme 1 Gedney Hill 5 (David Lord & Keith Cooper won 3&2; Wally Lawes & Bill Sharpe won 5&3; Bob Duke & Peter Orbine won 3&2; Richard Senior & Tom Melvin lost 2&1; John Venters & Roy Britton won 6&5; Peter Evans & Bill Smith won 4&3).
• Men’s section: April Medal – 1st Ian Weller 65 (ocb); 2nd Jim Starbuck 65; 3rd Andy Lillywhite 65. Mick Austin Pairs – 1st Chris Davies & Greg Walsh 47pts; 2nd Liam Gavaghan & Kevin Follen 41pts; 3rd Ian Weller & Pete Vinter 41pts.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
Men’s section: South Lincolnshire Scratch League A – Tydd 3 Blankney 3 (Jamie Stott & Adey Bills lost 4&2, Lee Willis & Andy Betts lost 4&3, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Rod Drew lost 2&1, Luke Rowell & Tom Brooks won 6&5, Kevin Goude & Malcolm Stead won 3&2, Leigh Chapman & Tim Hines won 3&2). Fixture – Gedney Hill 4 Tydd B 2.
r April Medal: Division One – 1st Ken Doughty 80-12=68; 2nd Ian Edrupt 78-9=69; 3rd Luke Rowell 75-6=69. Division Two – 1st Darren Upton 83-13=70; 2nd Andy Hix 85-14=71; 3rd Alfie Cooper 85-14=71. Division Three – 1st Grant Rider 85-19=66; 2nd David Worrell 97-28=69; 3rd Andy Gaff 92-20=72.
• Seniors’ section: Stableford Voucher: Gold division – 1st Thomas Brewer 36pts; 2nd Phil Whitehead 32pts (ocb); 3rd Ron Colledge 32pts. Silver division – 1st John Gamble 34pts; 2nd John Elliott 33pts; 3rd Brian Gough 29pts. Bronze division – 1st Salvatore DiBella 35pts; 2nd Anthony Petch 33pts; 3rd Kenneth sherry 32pts.
• Result: RAF Marham 6 Tydd St Giles 1 (Eddie Armstrong & Ken Parker lost 2&1, Malcolm Perrott & Ken Walker lost 2&1, Russell Doy & David Truluck lost 6&5, David Doubtfire & David Morris lost 2&1, Mike Brown & Noel Bratt lost 2 down, Mick Parker & Tony Petch lost 5&4, Brian Newby & Dennis Savory won 3&2).