THE talented ladies from Spalding Golf Club are Lincolnshire’s last remaining team in the national Mail On Sunday competition.
Elizabeth Holbrook, Paula Brown, Angela Roper, Lesley Williams and Pat West delivered the goods once again as Louth were vanquished in round six at the Surfleet course.
Most matches were played with varying handicaps – and early holes were won well by Louth’s visiting ladies.
However, some excellent golf from the Spalding side soon levelled the scores, before a final push saw them get their noses ahead.
They managed to hold that advantage to the end, as the home side secured a well-deserved, but narrow, 3-2 win for Spalding.
The next round will see Spalding’s ladies visit Gorleston, near Great Yarmouth, on a date still to be arranged.
r Spalding’s ‘B’ League clinched a resounding win against Greetham Valley on a wet Surfleet course.
Wins came from Ruth Atkins and Norma Parker (8&6), Anita Cross and Avril Norton (5&3), Barbara Newcombe and Anne Ellis (5&4) and Dina Reedman and Theresa Starbuck (1up).
• A stunning back nine showing from Elaine Harrison helped her win Spalding’s Coronation Cup.
Her Stableford score of 39 points was just enough to clinch the 18-hole event on countback, with 24 of her points achieved in the second half of the round.
The showing cut her handicap by one to 29.
Elaine Macleman, who also scored 39, came second and cut her handicap by two shots to 25. Eileen Bridge was third on 35 points.
• Men’s section: Spalding’s top scratch team saw their South Lincs League title hopes dashed at Stoke Rochford.
Although achieving a very creditable 3-3 draw, Spalding fell further behind the current leaders Belton Park, who beat their opposition 6 - 0.
While it is still mathematically possible to catch their rivals, it is now very unlikely. they’ll take the title.
Spalding’s winning pairs at the Grantham course were Andy Grimwood and Charles Lacey (2&1), Lloyd Chatham and Oliver Mitchell (2&1) and Mark Mitchell and Jason Houghton (2&1).
However, Spalding’s second team are now clear favourites to win their league after a convincing 5-1 win against Blankney at Surfleet.
Wins for the home team came from Richard Laud and Mark Jones (5&3), team captain Steve Camm and Chris Hancock (5&4), Rob Kedzlie and Wayne Wallace (3&2), Pete Clark and Harry Hunt (3&1), with Phil Tweddell and Mark Cooley winning the last hole 1up.
• The Spalding pairing of Mark Mitchell and Andy Grimwood have won through to the fifth round of the Daily Mail National Foursomes competition after defeating a duo from Boston West 4&2.
Their next round opponents are Ely City, which will be played at Surfleet later this month.
• Spalding’s third team continued their run of good form with a rare, but convincing 5-1 away win at Burghley Park.
In a very good team performance, the wins came from Rob Sampson and Monty Brittain (7&6), Mike Murphy and Robin Roffe (7&6), Rod Filby and Kevin Bellars (4&2) and Alan Elms and Trevor Horrocks (3&2).
Dave Fitter, partnered with David Colwell, converted a great downhill putt on Burghley’s notorious last hole to win 1up.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
TYDD are holding their annual Charity Day on August 17. It will raise money for Rays Of Sunshine, who benefit children and teenagers with life-limiting illnesses.
Organiser Brian Shales is still looking for golfers to join this special event. The competition is open to any players that have a handicap, with no age limit applied.
It is a Stableford pairs competition and may comprise men, women or mixed pairs.
Entry is £19 per player, which includes carvery lunch.
Tydd are planning to reach the target of £10,000, in what is the fourth year of the event.
For an entry form email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01945-589415.
• Seniors’ section: Brian Newby was the winner of Tydd’s Senior Captain’s Day event.
Organised by skipper Trevor Sewell, 60 golfer took part in the Stableford singles competition.
With glorious sunny weather some very good scores came in, bit none were better than Newby’s haul of 42 points.
Sid Haxell was just off the pace in second on 40 points, with Terry Cobb a further point back on 39.
Winners of the nearest to the pin competitions were Russell Doy (4th), Mike Parker (8th), Gerry Sherriff (11th) and David Boon (16th).
The longest drive prize on the 17th hole was clinched by Lee Smith, with Jack Dalziel closest to the pin in two on the 18th.
• Results: Men’s section: South Lincolnshire Scratch Leeague – Blankney 6 Tydd St Giles A 0 (Tim Hines & Adey Bills lost 6&5, Andy Betts & Malcolm Stead lost 2&1, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Rod Drew lost 1 down, Lee Lewis & John Tyler lost 3&1, Leigh Chapman & Luke Rowell lost 4&3, Kevin Goude & Tom Brooks lost 4&3).
• South Lincolnshire Scratch League – Tydd St Giles B 5 Gedney Hill 1 (Terry Pease & Louis McGuffoch won 1up, Phil Tilney & Paul Elsey won 3&1, Garry Fitzjohn & Paul Amos lost 3&1, Keith Jakings & Ian Edrupt won 5&4, Neil John & Dan Ball won 3&2, Linc Gostic & Clive Barber won 5&4).
• Seniors’ section: June Stableford voucher competition: Gold Division – 1st Roger Lancaster 40pts; 2nd Russell Doy 38pts; 3rd Gerry Sherriff 36pts. Silver Division – 1st John Gamble 33pts; 2nd Richard Talbot 32pts (ocb); 3rd Brian Gough 32pts. Bronze Division – 1st Terry Cobb 38pts; 2nd Peter Neve 35pts; 3rd Brian Knights 34pts.
• Result – Tydd St Giles 3 March 3 (Eddie Armstrong & Steve Hart won 1 up, Russell Doy & Mike Parker won 5&4, Brian Gough & David Doubtfire lost 7&6, David Morris & Gerry Sherriff won 2&1, Ken Parker & Ken Walker lost 4&2, Kerbad Daboo & Tony Petch lost 3&2).
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Results: Texas Scramble Open – 1st Jim Starbuck, Colin Rust, Jon Rust & Paul Day 54.2; 2nd Adam Britton, Steve Horton, Ashley Anthony & Eric Cowles 55.2; 3rd Mick Page, Marilyn Sayer, Steve Sayer & Liam Gavaghan 56.1 (ocb).
• Seniors’ section: Feltwell 4 Gedney Hill 2 (Carl Claxton & Peter Orbine won 3&1, Bill Sharpe & Dave Spridgen lost 5&4, Roy Britton & Malcolm Oliver lost 5&3, Richard Snr & Ron Walpole won 6&3, Peter Evans & Tony Lacey lost 3&2, Wally Lawes & Keith Cooper lost 2 down).
• Rabbits’ section: Thorney 1 Gedney Hill 5 (Graham East & Mo Parling lost 2&1, Bill Sharpe & Pete Orbine lost 5&4, Paul Hanson & Marilyn Sayer lost 6&5, Phil Davis & Nick Markillie lost 3&2, Kevin Follen & Chris Bennett lost 6&5, Stuart Sharp & Ray Wright won 5&4).
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: June Mixed Foursomes – 1st John Cropper & Ann Davis 32 pts; 2nd Norman Davis & Janet Groves 31pts.
• Seniors’ section: Result – Boston 5.5 Sutton Bridge 2.5 (Chris Shipp & John Cross lost 1 down, Roy Fox & John Cropper won 3&2, Peter Wailes & Don Robinson lost 2&1, Brian Bowell & Noel Clare won 1up, Roger Williamson & Roy Amos lost 9 &8, Alan Quince & Harold Shingleton lost 5&4, Keith Robinson & Roger Oughton lost 2&1, Charlie Waling & Derek Chapman halved).