Comeback king Darrel Cross has won Spalding’s highly-coveted Westcombe Trophy after defeating rival Ian Starr in a high quality final.
After exchanging wins at the early holes, eight-handicapper Starr was 1up after eight holes – and then had a run of five pars on the trot to increase his lead to 4up with five holes to play.
But Cross (14 handicap), who won the national William Hunt Trilby golf title recently, had other ideas and went on an inspirational run to land the title. He won the remaining five holes in one under par, in an incredible comeback to take the prestigious trophy – and carry on his incredible season.
The losing semi-finalists were Charles Lacy and Malcolm George.
• Spalding’s October monthly medal competition, the last of the season, saw some very good scores recorded from the 130 entries on a fine-looking Surfleet course.
Tim White (78-11=67) won the 0-14 handicap category with a nett 67, but only on countback from Mark Dodds (76-9=67) and Jack Sirrell (79-12=67).
Peter Clark (76-7=69) just edged fourth place, also on countback from Harry Hunt, Keith Hearne, Calum Lewis and Calum Walker after all scored a nett 69.
Other leading scores: 71– Garry Harrison, Dave Inglis. Simon Richardson (-3) won the category best gross score with a superb 69 (nett 72).
Robin Roffe (86-17=69) came out on top on countback from Phil Wakefield (84-15=69) in the 15-28 handicap category after both carded a nett 69. But Wakefield did win the best category gross score prize with his 84.
Roger Sanderson (87-17=70) just edged third spot from David Bark (86-16=70) both with a nett 70.
Other leading scores: 71– Matt Hendry, Mike Longley, Rob Stimson; 72 – Brynn Chappell.
Dave Perrott (14th) and Richard Ellis (15th) both had eagle 2’s at the par 4 14th and 15th but could not capitalize on this and just failed to make the leaderboard.
• James Carles (27 handicap) won the ‘Rabbits’ knock-out final after beating Matt Hendry (15) 1up in a hard-fought and nervy final.
Hendry, who also lost in the final last year, was 2up at the turn and after both players won early holes on the back nine. Hendry then won the 16th hole in par to go 1up, but Carles hit back to take the last two holes and the trophy.
Losing semi-finalists were Russell Steels and Peter Southgate.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Seniors’ section: Result: Burghley Park 5 Sutton Bridge 3 (Roger Williamson & Norman Davis lost 1 down; Ray Page & Charlie Waling won 2&1; Roy Fox & Richard Titchener lost 6&5; Harold Shingleton & Mervyn Williamson halved; Roy Amos & Steve Saffer lost 5&3; Chris Shipp & Stan Poulten lost 6&5; John Cross & Don Robinson won 1up; Noel Clare & Sid Everitt halved).
• Mixed section: Collins Cup: 1st George & Jen Baines 33 pts (ocb); 2nd Roy & Margaret Fox 33 pts; 3rd Norman & Ann Davis 32pts.
• Men’s section: Fenman’s Cup (Club pairs KO competition): Gary Jordan &Mike Bell beat Sid & Peter Warner 3& 1.
• Result: Sutton Bridge 1 Past Captains 4 (Steen Catlow (captain) & Bob Newby beat Terry Young & Steve Hyde 4&2; Ralph Grimes & Ken Green lost 1 down to John Bliss & Ted Simpson; Richard Essam & George Baines lost 4 &2 to Richard Wright & David Grey; Roy Fox & John Aitken lost 1 down to Roy Amos & Norman Davis; Andy Hyde & Danny Goddard lost 1 down to Geoff Coombs & Mervyn Baker).
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Men’s section: October Stableford: Division One: 1st Ian Gerrard 37pts; 2nd Andy Morris 36pts; 3rd Lee Smith 35pts, Division Two: 1st Steven Jeffries 39pts (ocb); 2nd Steve Gray 39pts; 3rd David Pluck 38pts. Division Three: 1st Brendon Docking 41pts; 2nd Mike Barton 41pts; 3rd Paul Matson 37pts.
• Seniors’ section: Monthly Medal: Division One: 1st Tom Jolly 80-13=67; 2nd Dennis Savory 81-11=70; 3rd Carl Brodie 88-17=71. Division Two: 1st Phil Whitehead 89-19=70; 2nd Brian Skinner 94-24=70; 3rd Barrie Mortimer 95-19=76. Division Three: 1st Phil Martin 90-22=68; 2nd Brian Knights 92-22=70; 3rd Geoff Sturdy 93-21=72. Division Four: 1st Brian Shales 93-26=67; 2nd Stuart Lacey 96-25=71; 3rd Peter Neve 102-27=75.