GLORY beckons for Spalding Golf Club’s 2nd team as they all but secured the South Lincs Scratch League Division Two title.
They maintained their 100 per cent record in the division after winning their sixth match on the trot, defeating South Kyme 5-1 at the Surfleet course.
With two matches still to play they are almost certain to be crowned champions and gain promotion back to the top division, with only a remarkable set of circumstances able to deny them.
Despite losing key players to first-team call-ups, the replacements fared well in a convincing win.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Richard Laud and Lawrie Haley (7&5), Miles Foden and Mark Dodds (5&4), Phil Tweddell and Paul Johnson (4&3), Wayne Wallace and Hugo Kedzlie (2up) and Rob Kedzlie and Raich Growdridge (3&2).
In contrast, the first team were missing six regular players and lost only their second match of the season.
Likely champions Belton Park completed the double over them, handing out a 6-0 hiding.
Spalding can now only finish runners-up at best in the top division.
• Spalding club member and county player Simon Richardson finished fifth out of a field of 46 in the Lincolnshire Poacher 36 hole scratch strokeplay competition, played at the par 70 Burghley Park course in Stamford.
Richardson carded a 71 in both the morning and afternoon rounds for a 142 total.
That left him eight strokes behind Kyson Lloyd of Wellingborough – who was the only player to have two sub-par rounds (67 and 67).
• Spalding’s third team returned to winning ways after a 3.5-2.5 win against Seacroft at the puddle-strewn Surfleet course.
Andy Cunnington and Nick Edwards were 6up after six holes and a birdie on the 14th hole from Cunnington sealed a 6&4 success.
Mike Murphy, partnered with David Fitter, was man of the match, playing solid golf throughout their 2&1 win.
Rob Sampson and Monty Brittain were also in good form, winning 3&2, while Kevin Siddle and Rob Dunmore halved their match.
• Ladies’ section: Spalding’s League B team played out a 2-2 draw with Belton Woods on home soil.
Result: Ruth Atkins & Norma Parker won (4&3), Anita Cross & Avril Norton won (5&3), Dina Reedman & Jean White lost (4&3) and Jean Harvey and Phil Borst lost (4&3).
• Spalding beat Seacroft 2-0 in a friendly game at Surfleet – but due to the very wet conditions on the course, it was only played over nine holes.
Norma Parker and Janet Davies and Sarah Halgarth and Wendy Revill halved their games, while Ruth Atkins and Linda Double (2&1) and Di West and Debra Ward (4&3) both won.
• The Sunday ladies’ Stableford event was won by Ruth Atkins with 33 points.
Second place went to Susan Matthews on 30 points, with Janet Davies third on the same score.
• A friendly match played against Toft saw Spalding beaten 3.5-0.5.
• Forty ladies went on an exchange day to Louth for a fourball/better ball AM-AM game. The winners were Milly and Hannah Thorold and Dina Reedman and Elaine Harrison. Paula Brown and Elaine Hancock and Ann Ellis and Linda Double were runners-up.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding edged out Boston West 5.5-4.5 in a close contest at Surfleet.
The successful pairs for Spalding were Dave McDermott and Monty Brittain, Wayne Wallace and Brian Stuckey, Albert Jocobs and Howard Greaves and Roy White and Cliff Edmondson.
Dennis Farnsworth and Phil Thorold halved.
Tydd St Giles GC
Men’s section: July Medal: Division One – 1st Andy Betts 69-5=64; 2nd Johnathon Tyler 73-7=66; 3rd Julian Davie 78-11=67. Division Two –1st Andy Sleath 79-13=66 (ocb); 2nd Andy Hix 80-14=66; 3rd Angus Macdonald 80-13=67. Division Three – 1st Paul Strickle 63-19=64; 2nd Barry Hill 87-21=66; 3rd Garry Allen 88-21=67.
• South Lincolnshire Scratch League: Sutton Bridge 3.5 Tydd St Giles A 2.5 (Ian Edrupt & Ken Doughty halved; Clive Barber & Linc Gostic lost 1 down; Lee Willis & John Tyler lost 2 down; Paul Chaplain-Barton & Andy Betts won 6&5; Leigh Chapman & Adey Bills lost 1down; Kevin Goude & Malcolm Stead won 6&5). Tydd St Giles B 3.5 Sutton Bridge 2.5 (Phil Tilney & Paul Elsey won 2&1; Garry Fitzjohn & Ryan Belcher lost one down; Gerry Sherriff & Terry Pease won 6&5; Keith Jakings & Andy Sleath halved; Neil John & Ben Dennis lost one down; Dan Newell & Vinny Day won 6&4).
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Ladies’ section: League match – Sutton Bridge 1 Tydd St Giles 3 (Team: Jeannette McEwan & Margaret Fox; Linda Searle & Jenny Wells; Brenda Bell & Jill McEwan; Ann Davis & Karen Gillett).
• Lady Captain’s Day: Result – 1st Linda Searle 31pts; 2nd Jen Baines 30pts; 3= Brenda Bell 28pts (ocb) from Anne Clarke 28pts. Hidden holes – Jane Rose.