CONDITIONS were very demanding at Spalding Golf Club’s September monthly medal competition – but nobody told Simon Richardson.
On a very warm and sunny day, the Surfleet course proved a tough cookie to crack as only 17 of the 137 golfers played to par or better.
There were no such problems for county player Richardson (-2 handicap) though, as he carded a superb gross 67 (nett 69) to win both the nett and gross score prize in the lower handicap category. His 67 included an eagle three on the par five 13th hole and four other birdies.
It’s been a cracking run of form for Richardson, who recently came second in the Lincolnshire Open Championship – which includes professionals – played at the par 71 Holme Hall course. In the 36 hole competition he had rounds of 74 and 68 for a 142 total, finishing two strokes adrift of champion Sam Whitaker.
Second to Richardson at the Spalding medal was David Tasker (79-9=70), who pipped Josh Parkin (81-11=70) and Adam Davey (75-5=70) on countback after all three scoring a nett 70.
Other leading scores in this category came from Keith Hearne, Paul Johnson, David Inglis and Richard Laud (all nett 71).
Paul Green (84-19=65) had the best nett score of the day. His 65 was good enough to win the 15-28 handicap category from Sean Stewart (82-15=67) in second place, which included best category gross score of 82.
Third place went the way of Wayne Flowers (87-17=70) after he carded a nett 70.
Other leading scores in this category, all with a nett 71, came from Rob Sampson, Nigel Cook, Gerald Cox and Keith Chadwick
• SPALDING’S mixed team played hosts to their counterparts from Sleaford in their latest social match and won 3-2.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Andy Reedman and Norma Parker (3&2), Geoff Skinner and Millie Thorold (4&2) and Max Ellis and Mags McArdle (2&1).
• JOHN Woods came out on top in a field of 73 entries to take the Lesage Veterans Trophy after picking up 39 Stableford points.
Peter Bridge was awarded second place on countback from Vic Davis and John Thorpe, with all three just off the pace with 38 points.
Other scores: 37pts – Tony Jarvis; 36pts – Wayne Wallace, Mike Lynas; 35pts – Bill Main, Greg Baylis, Ray Harrison and Peter Gooderson.
• Ladies’ section: Despite rain for most of the day there were some excellent scores at Spalding Ladies Invitation Day. None more so than Pat West and guest Fran Grant (Boston), who took first prize with 43 points in the 3/4 handicap better-ball format.
Just one point behind in second place were Janet Davies and Alison Ravenhill (Toft) with 42 points, while third place went to Lesley Plumpton and Claire Rylott (Boston) on 41 points.
Fourth and fifth were decided on countback, with Elaine Hancock and Gill Lamming (Sleaford) edging ahead of Chris Leggett and Val Aspland (Boston West) after both managed 39 points.
Shirley Gurbutt, Anita Cross, Pat West, lady captain Norma Parker and Mags McArdle all got a two, as did Margaret Johns from Kirton Holme.
Nearest the pin on the ninth was Sue Hennigan from Milton, while Louth’s Pam Shepherd took the honours on the 16th.
• A BUSY few days of fixtures for Spalding began with Dianne Platt winning the Lady Past Captain’s 13-hole Stableford competition with 28 points.
That was enough for her to see off Lesley Plumpton (26pts) and Paula Brown (25pts).
• THE Daily Mail Foursomes winners were Dianne Platt and Paula Brown on nett 75.5, with Elaine Hancock and Lynda Double (76) just pipped by half a shot.
• DIVISION One champions Spalding 1st just failed in their bid to retain the County Handicap Shield when they lost to Elsham ladies at Boston West.
Elsham won 2.5 to 1.5, with Splading’s lone win coming from Lesley Plumpton and Elizabeth Holbrook. Pat West and Elaine Hancock halved, while the losing pairs were Angela Roper and Angie Maltby and Paula Brown and Ruth Atkins.
Sutton Bridge GC
Results: Brabben Cup – 1st Roy Fox & Ann Cross 32pts; 2nd John Cropper & Margaret Fox 31pts; 3rd John Cross & Fid Cropper 29pts. Ladies’ Medal – 1st Suzanne Larham 102–27=75; 2nd Betty Reeve 112–36=77; 3rd Margaret Fox 97–18=79. Best scratch – Margaret Fox. Ladies’ fixture – Sutton Bridge 3.5 Eagles 0.5 (Carole Whitelam & Margaret Fox won 6&5, Linda Searle & Judy Ostler halved, Jane Rose & Carole Caney won 7&6, Ann Davis & Peggy Ellis won 1up). Result – Sutton Bridge Mixed 4 Canwick Park 2 (Terry Young & Margaret Fox halved, John & Suzanne Aitken won 2up, Roy Fox & Janet Simpson won 4&2, Norman & Ann Davis halved, John & Ann Cross won 7&6, John & Carole Caney lost 5&6).