MARVELLOUS Mark Cooley saw off the challenge of more than 150 other competitors to win Spalding Golf Club’s Nicholas Cup – the first individual competition of the season.
In difficult, breezy conditions, the six handicapper put in a solid performance to score a decisive 39 Stableford points. That haul was enough to secure the trophy and also earn a handicap reduction to five.
In second place was Matthew Hendry (25 handicap) on countback from Lawrie Haley (9), with both scoring 38 points.
David Smith (20), who came sixth with 37 points, sunk a super hole-in-one at the par three ninth for a maximum five points.
The ace also enjoyed a birdie two at the par three 16th, but unfortunately failed to subscribe to the separate ‘2s’ competition.
• Other leading scores: 37pts – Vic Davis, Richard Laud, David Smith, Josh Parkin, Martin Deacon and Stephen Baxendale. 36pts – Chris Brooks, Andy Elfleet, Mark Mitchell, John Beaumont, Tim Davies, Ray Barnett and John Farrow.
• The men’s third team won their opening social match of the season 8-3 against the ladies.
Team captain Rob Sampson and vice skipper Monty Brittain won 3&1 against their counterparts Norma Parker and Angela Roper, with other notable performances coming from Trevor Laud and Pete Williams (won 5&3), Terry Thorpe and Rod Filby (won 3&2) and Neil West and Geoff Skinner (won 3&2).
Chris Hancock – despite giving 25 strokes – and playing partner Phil Thorold also won 1up.
The pick of the wins for the ladies came from Linda Double and Paula Brown (6&5) and Lesley Plumpton and Elaine Hancock (1up).
Both the teams of Angela Maltby and Mags McArdle and Beryl Skinner and Hannah Thorold halved their games.
• Ladies’ section: Spalding halved a friendly at Burghley Park amid glorious weather conditions.
Winners were Angela Roper and Debra Ward (5&4) and Mags McArdle and Elaine Harrington (2&1), while Chris Vickers and Deborah Ellis lost 5&4 and Norma Parker and Janet Davis were beaten 3&2.
• In very different weather conditions, Spalding’s ladies secured a good 3-1 friendly win over Canwick Park at Surfleet.
Wins came from Angela Roper and Norma Parker (2&1), Carol Holland and Maureen Orwell (2&1) and Della Walker and Chris Leggett (5&3), with only Phyl Borst and Jenny Wilson slipping to defeat (3&2).
• Seniors’ section: Spalding halved an entertaining home match against Oakham Golf Club.
Both teams won four games, with the pairings of captain Colin Inkley and Sid Chapman, Mike Murphy and Karl Ellerbroek, Ian Jones and Howard Greaves and Phil Thorold and Roy White emerging victorious for the hosts.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
TYDD’S ladies’ team have won through to the fourth round of the Mail on Sunday national competition.
Having beaten both March and Richmond Park in previous rounds, Tydd secured a resounding 5-0 victory over Ramsey at home.
• Other ladies’ section results: PWS Ltd February Medal – 1st S Illsley 71nett. March Sunday Medal – 1st P Lacey 82nett; 2nd N Stead 86nett; 3rd L Walker 90nett. March Thursday Medal – 1st L Walker 74nett; 2nd P Meir 75nett; 3. M Taylor Vassall 79nett. Burton March Medal – 1st Lin Walker. Sunday Stableford – 1st P Meir 26pts; 2nd M Taylor Vassall 24pts. Thursday Stableford – 1st J Maton 36pts; 2nd E Everitt 34pts; 3rd S Letchford 31pts. March Medford – 1st C Stevenson 36pts; 2nd K Slator 19pts (ocb); 3rd J Maton 19pts. Three Clubs & a Putter – 1st M Taylor Vassall 30pts; 2nd L Walker 29pts; 3rd P Meir 29pts. String Ball – 1st M Taylor Vassall 45pts; 2nd L Gaillie 43pts (ocb); 3rd S Racey 43pts.
• Seniors’ section: Result – Feltwell 2.5 Tydd St Giles 3.5 (Eddie Armstrong & Noel Bratt lost 4&3, Kerbad Daboo & Russell Doy halved, Paul Jackson & Steve Hart won 7&6, Dennis Savory & Brian Gough won 3&1, Brian Newby & Terry Sambridge lost 4&3, Baz Smith & Terry Petch won 2&1). Stableford Trophy: Gold Division – 1st Thomas Brewer 41pts; 2nd Trevor Sewell 37pts; 3rd Baz Smith 36pts. Silver Division – 1st Richard Talbot 32pts; 2nd Brian Gough 31pts; 3rd Mike Brown 29pts. Bronze Division – 1st Jo Minto 38pts (ocb); 2nd Salvatore Di Bella 38pts; 3rd Derek Grant 33pts.
• Men’s section: Stableford Pairs – 1st Ady Rowell & Stephen Rowell 42pts; 2nd Angus McDonald & John Nobbs 40pts; 3rd Jamie Gollands & Adam Hodgson 40pts.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Mixed Foursomes – 1st Norman Davis & Jenny Wells 32pts; 2nd Mike Bell & Ann Cross 31pts; 3rd Ken Burton & Brenda Bell 29pts.
• Ladies’ section: Result – Kirton Holme 1 Sutton Bridge 3 (Team: Carole Whitelam (captain) & Linda Searle; Ann Cross & Fid Cropper; Jill McEwan & Jane Rose; Ann Davis & Suzanne Larham). Ladies’ invite OB’s: Result – 1st Peggy Ellis & Keith Robinson 37pts; 2nd Brenda Bell & John Cropper 36pts (ocb); 3rd Betty Reeve & Noel Clare 36pts.
• Men’s section: Result – March 2.5 Sutton Bridge 3.5 (Terry Young & Steve Fisher halved; Geoff Coombes & John Essam won 1up; Bob Newby & George Baines lost 1 down; Barry Irwin & John Bliss won 2up; Sam Shippey & Tim Stearne lost 1 down; Steen Catlow & Steve Hyde won 3&2).
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Men’s Section: Mushroom Trophy – 1st Chris Davies 39pts (ocb); 2nd Jim Starbuck 39pts; 3rd E Cowles 38pts.
• Seniors’ section: Result – Seniors 0.5 Rabbits Challenge 5.5 (Graham East & Lee Fisher v Carl Claxton & Stuart Biggar 3&1; Greg Walsh & Mo Parling v Rob Newns & Eric Cowles 1up; Neil Sargeant & Paul Hanson v David Lord & Don Hinshelwood 5&4; Chris Bennett & Marlyn Sayer v Bill Smith & Mick Drury match halved; Bill Sharpe & Gary Moore v Roy Britton & Peter Vinter 3&1; Steve Sharpe & Phil Davis v Bob Townsend & Richard Senior 2&1).