FIRST team star Lloyd Chatham is hoping to represent Lincolnshire in a national final after starring at Spalding Golf Club’s EGU gold medal qualifying competition
An impressive 154 members of the men’s section took part in the Surfleet event last weekend, although heavy showers and surface water saw a third of them fail to register a score in the difficult conditions.
That wasn’t the case for Chatham (72-4=68) though, who came out in pole position with a nett 68. He must now wait and see if his score is good enough to represent the county in the national final played at Woodhall Spa in August.
One stroke back in second was Chris Dring (89-20=69), with Mark Mitchell (71-1=70) third on countback from Trevor Laud (80-10=70), Trevor Horrocks (81-11=70) and Kevin Siddle (89-19=70).
Other leading scores came from: 71 – Ian Ford, Steve Rogers, Peter West, Gary Palmer. 72 – Martin Green, Mal Wray, John Cretney.
• Spalding’s annual England versus Ireland challenge match saw English skipper Bob Pearson’s team regain the Shillelagh Trophy with a convincing 14-6 win Johnny Walker’s Irish team.
The real winner was the three captain’s season beneficiary charity, St Barnabas Hospice (Spalding), for which over £430 was raised on the day. Guest member of the England team, former boxer Dave ‘Boy’ Green, presented the trophy.
• The mixed team secured a 3-2 win at Greetham Valley in their latest social match.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Alan Roper and Dina Reedman, Ray Harrison and Margaret Barkway and Neil West and Mags McArdle. Andy Reedman and Elaine Harrison halved their game.
• Ladies’ section: The wet weather has wreaked havoc with the ladies’ fixtures – with the first casualties being the Daily Mail Foursomes partnership of Dianne Platt and Paula Brown.
Their home advantage against Boston West was lost when the Surfleet course was closed, but they still went on to win the second round fixture at Boston West 2 up, booking an away tie at Seacroft.
• Despite some close encounters, Spalding Ladies’ League B team lost their match at Belton Woods A 4-0.
Result: Norma Parker and Anita Cross lost 3&1, while Ruth Atkins and Avril Norton were beaten 6&4, Barbara Newcombe and Anne Ellis were edged out 1 down and Theresa Starbuck and Jean Harvey lost 4&3.
• Pat West, Elaine Hancock and Dianne Platt all travelled to Tidworth Garrison Golf Club near Salisbury to play in the English Seniors’ Close Amateur Championships.
Round two was cancelled due to bad weather, so round one’s scores decided the top 16 players to go forward to the matchplay stages.
West shot a gross 79, which was good enough to book a place in the latter stages – albeit against the number one seed.
Meanwhile, Hancock’s gross 87 and Platt’s gross 84 weren’t enough in a field of 119 competitors.
Sutton Bridge GC
Seniors’ section: Results – S Bridge 6 Boston West 2 (Chris Shipp & Roy Amos won 2up; Peter Wailes and Roger Williamson won 6&5, Harold Shingleton & Andy Parks won 5&4, David Matthews & Don Robinson won 5&4, Roy Fox & Noel Clare won 2up, Ray Page & Ralph Harding lost 3&2, Norman Davis & Peter North won 4&3, Steve Saffer & John Cross lost 1 down). S Bridge 3 Ryston Park 1 (Steen Catlow & Colin Fawcett won 5up, Geoff Coombs & John Bliss won 2up, Ralph Grimes & Jon Essam lost 3&2, Tim Stearne & George Baines won 1up).Swaffham 5.5 S Bridge 0.5 (Chris Shipp & Noel Clare lost 2&1, Harold Shingleton & Roger Williamson lost 3&1, Roy Fox & Don Robinson halved, Peter Wailes & Peter North lost 5&4, Ray Page &John Cross lost 5&3, Norman Davis & David Matthews lost 4&2).
• Ladies’ section: Par competition– 1st Suzanne Larham +7; 2nd Anne Clarke +1; 3rd Ann Davis 0. Result – Boston 3 Sutton Bridge 1 (Team: Linda Searle & Betty Reeve, Jenny Wells & Jill McEwan, Ann Davis & Suzanne Larham, Ann Cross & Jen Baines).
• Mixed section: Result – Sutton Bridge 2 Spalding 4 (Team: Steen Catlow & Carole Whitelam, Barry Irwin & Linda Searle, Norman & Ann Davis, John & Ann Cross, John & Carole Caney, Noel Clare & Jenny Wells).
• Men’s section: Result – Sutton Bridge 1st 6 Belton Woods 1st 0 (Dean Wilson & Pete Warner won 4&3, Colin Fawcett & Steve Fisher won 5&4, Dave O’Connell & Tim Stearne won 2&1, Mike Bell & Paul Lawrence won 1up, Stewart Ingram & Chris Ripley won 3&2, Peter Howard & Sam Shippey won 2&1). Sutton Bridge 3 King’s Lynn 1 (Steen Catlow & John Caney won 2&1, Sam Shippey & John Bliss lost, Mark Charnley & Richard Wright won 6up, Tim Stearne & Kevin Howling won 3&1).
Tydd St Giles GC
Men’s section: Stableford pairs – 1st Andy Betts & Malcolm Stead 40pts; 2nd Gino Ciuffini & Rod Drew 37pts (ocb); 3rd Phil Whitehead & John Gamble 37pts.