Spalding Golf Club men’s team eased their way into the second round of the Elsham county foursomes competition with a 3up win over Toft.
The format for the Sufleet clash saw three pairs from each side play the full 18 holes off scratch, with the combined matchplay score to count.
First pair out Keith Hearne and Ollie Mitchell were always in control of their game and were 6up after 13 holes – but lost three of the last five holes to win 3up.
Next up, Dan Hines and Chas Lacey were 2up at the turn but their opposition came back to finish all square.
The final pairing of Andy Grimwood and Lloyd Chatham were having a tough time and were two down after nine holes. But they fought back, winning the last hole to square their game.
Spalding, who won the coveted trophy back in 2009, now have a difficult second round tie away at Cleethorpes GC, later this month.
• Spalding’s South Lincs scratch league teams were also in action – and endured mixed fortunes.
The first team visited Stoke Rochford, which is always a difficult course to get a result on. And so it proved, as they went down 4-2, despite the best efforts of winning pairs Keith Hearne and Mal Wray (1up) and Andy Grimwood and Lloyd Chatham (1up).
The second team did much better in the reverse fixture against their counterparts from Grantham though, as they won 4-2 with one game halved at the Surfleet course.
The winning pairs were Mark Cooley and Phil Tweddell (5&4), Mark Jones and Hugo Kedzlie (1up), Wayne Wallace and Rob Kedzlie (2&1) and Nick Holmes and Harry Hunt (1up). Chris Moxen and Graham Hutchings halved their game.
• Third team captain Monty Brittain enjoyed his first win of the season in Spalding’s latest social match, beating North Shore (Skegness 3.5-2.5) at Surfleet.
Best performance came from Nick Edwards and Richard Woods (6&5), with other wins coming from Roy and Stuart Parker (2up) and Dave Fitter and Rob Sampson (1up).
Brittain and playing partner Geoff Camm halved their game.
• The Spalding mixed team had a convincing 7-1 home win against their counterparts from Sleaford.
Captains Neil Knighton and Angela Roper led from the front, winning 3&2, with further successes coming from Tony Holbrook and Sue Watson (4&3), Sandy Watson and Paula Brown (5&3), Alan Roper and Phyl Borst (7&6), Roger Brown and Mags McArdle (5&3), Russell Steels and Jenny Pipe (2&1) and Rod Filby and Carole Holland (2&1).
• Ladies’ section: The Wednesday May Medal saw 55 members amid great conditions, with the standard scratch moving out to 76.
All prizes and raffle prizes were donated by Hills and David Turner presented them to the winners. Shirley Gurbutt was the overall winner.
• Results: Cat 1 (0-20 handicap) – 1st Pat West 74; 2nd Avril Norton 79; 3rd Elaine Hancock 79. Cat 2 (21-28 handicap) – 1st Shirley Gurbutt, 72 (also the overall winner); 2nd Mo Wallace 73; 3rd Carole Holland 78. Cat 3 (29-36 handicap) 1st Jennifer Wilson 78; 2nd Lisa Howling 79; 3rd Judy Rawling 79.
• Sunday Medal (April 28): 1st Angela Roper 76; 2nd Gill Dewhurst 77; 3rd Julia Colston 78.
GEDNEY HILL GOLF CLUB
• Results: Gedney Hill Golf Club 24th Anniversary Competition: Members – 1st Chris Davies 47pts; 2nd Joseph Timms 41; 3rd Pete Vinter 39 (ocb); 4th Eddie Grange 39. Non-Members – 1st Paul Edgely 37pts; 2nd Dave Adams 36; 3rd R Wilkinson 33(ocb); 4th Anne Edwards 33. Nearest the pins – 3rd Dave Adams; 4th Mick Staite; 11th Steve Sayer; 12th Keith Lawrence.
• Men’s section: April Medal 1st Pete Vinter 61; 2nd Steve Horton 65; 3rd Ray Wright 66.
• Seniors’ section: Results – Eagles 3 Gedney Hill 3 (Leonard Kempster & Don Hinshelwood lost 3 & 1; Neil Sargeant & Tom Penning won 5 & 3; Bill Smith & Tony Lacey won 6 & 5; Doug Aitken & Carl Claxton lost 4 & 3; Wally Lawes & Carol Plume won 1 up; Richard Senior & Paul Wood lost 4 & 2).Pottergate 2 Gedney Hill 4 (Leonard Kempster & Peter Orbine lost 1 down; David Lord & Bob Townsend won 5 & 3; Rob Newns & Neil Sargeant won 1 up; Bill Smith & Peter Evans won 3 & 2; John Venters & Bob Duke lost 5 & 4; Wally Lawes & Bill Sharpe won 4 & 3).
• Rabbits’ section: Gedney Hill 3.5 Thorney 2.5 (Chris Bennett & Graham East won 1up; Gary Moore & Paul Hanson halved; Mo Parling & Greg Walsh lost 1 down; Bill Sharpe & Stuart Biggar lost 3 & 1; Neil Sargeant & Pete Orbine won 6 & 5; Dean Parker & Ray Wright won 4 & 3).
• Ladies’ section: April Medal – 1st Jenny Venters 74net (ocb); 2nd Nicky Weller 74; 3rd Janet Davis 79(ocb).Rigby Taylor – 1st Maggie Bingham 31pts; 2nd Jenny Venters 25pts; 3rd Ann Chick 21pts.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Seniors’ section: Swaffham 4.5 S Bridge 1.5 (Roger Williamson & Roy Fox lost 2&1; Norman Davis & Tony Town lost 3&2; Chris Shipp & John Cross halved; Roy Amos & Noel Clare lost 6&5; Harold Shingleton & Peter North won 1up; Richard Titchener & Charlie Waling lost 4&3). Sutton Bridge 3 King’s Lynn 3 (Roger Williamson & Harold Shingleton halved; John Cross & Richard Titchener lost 3&1; Peter Wailes & Roy Amos won 2&1; Roy Fox & Tony Town w 1up; Ray Page & Stan Poulten halved; Charlie Waling & Noel Clare lost 1 down).
• Ladies’ section: May Medal – 1st Betty Reeve 113–36=77; 2nd Jen Baines 102–23=79; 3rd Jill McEwan 108–27=81. Best Scratch – Jen Baines. Ladies’ Cancer Charity – 1st Betty Reeve 34 pts; 2nd Jenny Wells 27pts; 3rd = Karen Gillett, Dianne Wareham & Ann Cross 26pts. Results – Sutton Bridge 3 Boston 1 (Margaret Fox & Jane Rose lost; Ann Davis & Ann Cross lost; Jenny Wells & Jill McEwan won; Karen Gillett & Brenda Barton lost). S Bridge 4 Heacham Manor 1 (Margaret Fox & Carole Whitelam won 5&4; Ann Cross & Jen Baines lost 4&2; Ann Davis & Jill McEwan won 2up; Judy Green & Judy Ostler won 4&2).
• Mixed section: Feltwell Mixed 1 S Bridge Mixed 4 (Margaret Fox & John Caney halved; Brenda & Mike Bell won 2&1; Carol Caney & Roy Fox won 3&2; Ann & John Cross halved; Jen & George Baines won 3&2). Mixed Foursomes – 1st Roy Fox & Jen Baines 34pts; 2nd John Groves & Brenda Bell 30pts; 3rd= John Cross & Margaret Fox 28pts; 3rd= Mike Bell & Ann Cross 28 pts.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Ladies’ section: Thursday Stableford – 1st Maria Taylor Vassall 32pts; 2nd Soon Letchford 27pts (ocb); 3rd Nicola Stead 27pts. Sunday Stableford – 1st Petra Meir 31pts; 2nd Joan Clifton 27pts (ocb); 3nd Maria Taylor Vassall 27pts. Thursday Medal – 1st Maria Taylor Vassall 74 nett; 2nd Penny Wicks 79 nett; 3rd Petra Meir 81 nett (ocb). Sunday Medal – 1st Soon Letchford 76 net; 2nd Nicola Stead 81 nett; 3rd Karen Slator 83 nett (ocb). Lords Bridge Development Medal – 1st Maria Taylor Vassall 74 nett; 2nd Soon Letchford 76 ; 3rd Penny Wicks 79 . Winter Eclectic (0 - 24 category) – 1st Soon Letchford 57.5; 2nd Maria Taylor Vassall 63.4; 3rd Beryl Clay 64.5. 25-36 category – 1st Nicola Stead 64 ; 2nd Petra Meir 67; 3rd Joan Clifton 77. Mixed Easter Competition – 1st Karen & Albert Slator 42pts (ocb); 2nd Christina & Gerry Sherriff 42pts; 3rd Maria & Michael Vassall 39pts (ocb). Ladies’ Spring Am-Am – 1st Joan Young, Jean Markham, Ann Hodgson & Yvonne Schaffarczyk (Boston) 85pts. Lincs League match – Kirton Holme 3 Tydd 1. King Giles Cup match – Tydd 5 Kings Lynn 3. Match – Middleton Park 1 Tydd 3. Match – Tydd 1.5 Kirton Holme 2.5.