KEITH Hearne is setting the early pace in Spalding Golf Club’s Lincolnshire Free Press competition after shooting a dazzling 65 in the opening round at Surfleet.
The adverse weather conditions meant that the first round of the annual event was held in conjunction with the May Medal, with the scratch score for the day going out to 74.
Two-handicapper Hearne holds the early advantage, with Charlie Wallace hot on his heels with an impressive round of 65. Three further shots back in third spot was Mal Wray with 69.
They were the top three in Division One of the May Medal too, with Charles Lacey and Mark Cooley (both 71) fourth and fifth respectively.
In Division Two, Calum Lewis (22 handicap) took the spoils with a 64, ahead of Craig Lewis (66) and Alan Boothby (70).
All of the leading scorers attracted the attention of the handicap secretary, as did Doug Garfoot, Mark Mitchell, Wayne Wallace and Timothy White.
• Conditions for the June monthly medal were much-improved – but scores didn’t quite reach the same levels as the May offering.
In Division One, young gun Hugo Kedzlie was top of the leaderboard with a 66, ahead of Bill Main (67) and Graham Hutchins (69).
It was nip and tuck in Division Two, with Alan Doades taking the honours on countback after he, Thomas John Walker (2nd) and David Ellis (3rd) all carded a 68.
• Bank holiday Monday’s Texas Scramble proved a popular event, with 116 players battling it out at the Surfleet course.
Top spot went to the quartet of Ben Jenkins, R Climo and James and Jose Carles with 55.6 points, ahead of Sue and Sandy Watson and Heather and Nick Casswell in second (56.07).
Third on 56.25 were Dina and Andy Reedman with Elaine and Ray Harrison, while Kane Toal, Keith Moore, Lisa Howling and Doug Garfoot (57.375) claimed fourth position.
• Spalding’s third team earned a creditable half against a very strong March team who fielded players with as low a handicap as seven.
Bernard Herbert and John Camm proved inspirational for Spalding, as they came back from two down with three to play to win 1up on the 18th.
John Taylor and man-of-the-match Brian Naylor also mounted a stirring comeback, as they battled back from three down to win 3&1.
Vital halves came from Rob Sampson and Monty Brittain, along with Bob Sutton and Peter Bingham.
• Ladies’ section: Spalding battled out an entertaining 2-2 draw with Woodhall Spa.
Their wins came from Norma Parker and Debra Ward (2&1) and Paula Brown and Margaret Barkway (2&1), while Phyl Borst and Chris Leggett lost 5&4 and Eileen Bridge and Deborah Ellis lost 1 down.
• The Sunday Stableford (June 3) was won by Lesley Williams on 35 points, ahead of Tracy Siddle (31pts) in second and Angela Roper (29pts) in third.
• The Spalding ladies’ first medal of this season was finally played last Wednesday, in conjunction with the Millennium Cup.
Though many found the discipline hard, several players were able to find their form with Debra Ward taking top spot on 72 points. The win reduced her handicap from 24 to 23.
Second place went to Lesley Williams on 74, who also reduced her handicap by one to 13, while Paula Brown finished third with a score of 76.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
HOLBEACH United are holding their golf day at Tydd on July 21.
Teams and hole sponsors are both being sought for the event. Email email@example.com for an entry form.
• Results: Men’s section: June Stableford: Division One – Paul Amos 39pts; 2nd Ady Bills 38pts (ocb); 3rd Leigh Chapman 38pts, Division Two – 1st Dean Wright 40pts (ocb); 2nd Sean Graves 40pts; 3rd Andy Hix 39pts. Division Three – 1st Shaun Nobes 41pts; 2nd Paul Jackson 37pts; 3rd Bob Mann 36pts.
• Seniors’ section: Monthly Medal: Gold Division – 1st Alf Bishop 84-15=69; 2nd Gerry Sherriff 85-14=71; 3rd Ron Colledge 82-10=72. Silver Division – 1st Brian Gough 91-21=70; 2nd John Elliott 92-21=71; 3rd Ken Walker 97-20=77. Bronze Division – 1st Terry Cobb 99-28=71 (ocb); 2nd Brian Knights 96-25=71; 3rd Ken Sherry 100-26=74. Match result – Tydd St Giles 3 Heacham Manor 3 (Eddie Armstrong & Brian Gough lost 7&5; Brian Newby & Terry Sambridge won 1up; Steve Hart & Russell Doy won 1up; Dennis Savory & Tony Petch won 3&2; Ken Parker & Alf Bishop lost 2 down; David Doubtfire & Baz Smith lost 3&1).
• Ladies’ section: Hidden Holes – 1st Eunice Everitt & Sylvia Illsley; 2nd Lin Walker & Jackie Maton; 3rd Christine Burton & Christine Doy. Thursday Medal – 1st Lorraine Gallie 72nett; 2nd Trish Lacey 73nett; 3rd Soon Letchford 74nett. Sunday Medal – 1st Karen Slator 78 nett; 2nd Sylvia Illsley 79nett. Images Hair Salon May Medal – 1st Lorraine Gallee 72nett. Thursday Stableford – 1st Soon Letchford 37pts; 2nd Lin Walker 35pts; 3rd Linda Daboo 34pts. Sunday Stableford – 1st Karen Slator 41pts; 2nd Jackie Maton 30pts. Ping BBB competition – 1st Lin Walker & Trish Lacey 38pts. Coronation Foursomes – 1st Sue Racey & Lorraine Gallie 32pts; 2nd Soon Letchford & Jackie Mahon 28pts; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall & Karen Slator 22pts. League matches – Tydd 2 Blankney 2; Blankney 3.5 Tydd 0.5.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Results: Men’s section: Howard Pairs – 1st Chris Davies & Liam Gavaghan 45pts; 2nd Paul Day & Ian Weller 43pts; 3rd Adam Britton & Neale Venters 42pts (ocb). Wednesday 9-hole competition – 1st Steve Sayer 24pts; 2nd Ian Weller 22pts (ocb); 3rd Neale Venters 22pts. June Medal – 1st Steve Horton 65 nett; 2nd Chris Newns 67; 3rd Mike Page 68 (ocb).
• Seniors’ section: Coningsby v Gedney Hill (David Lord & Keith Cooper won 2up; Wally Lawes & Bill Sharpe 2&1; Bob Duke & Peter Orbine 4&3; Rob Newns & Neil Sargeant won 4&3; John Venters & Bob Townsend won 3&2; Roy Britton & Bill Smith won 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: Mark Poole Rose Bowl – 1st Janet Davis 33pts; 2nd Ann Chick 32pts; 3rd Nicky Weller 28 pts. June Medal – 1st Maggie Bingham 79nett; 2nd Jenny Venters 85; 3rd Ann Chick 89.
• Rabbits’ section: Result – South Kyme 3 Gedney Hill 3 (Chris Bennett & Kevin Follen won 4&3; Neil Sergeant & Pete Orbine lost 7&6; Paul Hanson & Eric Cowles lost 4&3; Greg Walsh & Roy Britton won 2&1; Bill Sharpe & Gary Moore lost 4&2; Stuart Sharp & Ray Wright won 2up).
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Ladies’ section: June Medal – 1st Jen Baines 99–23=76; 2nd Jeannette McEwan 91–13=78; 3rd Chelsea Petty 110–27=83. Best Scratch – Jeannette McEwan.
• Seniors’ section: Sutton Bridge Seniors 4 Hunstanton Veterans 2 (Chris Shipp & Brian Bowell won 5&3; Roy Amos & Don Robinson won 2&1; Charlie Waling & Ken Green lost 3&2; Sid Everitt & John Cross lost 3&2; John Cropper & Richard Titchener won 2&1; Harold Shingleton & Noel Clare won 3&2).