AN UNBELIEVABLE round from Adam Davey and Mark Dodds took Spalding Golf Club’s Lovell Cup competition by storm.
Davey (5 handicap) and Dodds (9) scored an incredible 51 Stableford points as they coasted to the title by seven points.
Played in a greensome Stableford format for pairs in different handicap categories, they recorded nine birdies, eight pars and one bogey to score a gross 64.
In second place was the combination of Stephen Baxendale and Keith Hearne (44pts), with Tom Reedman and Kevin Siddle just pushing Stuart Bailey and Rob Dunmore into third place on countback. Both scored 43 points.
Defending champions David Brotherton and Mark Mitchell came in fifth with 42 points.
• 15-year-old Oliver Mitchell has got his hands on the the individual matchplay Westcombe Trophy.
Mitchell defeating Jason Houghton 4&2 in a one sided final to lift one of Spalding’s most coveted summer knockout competitions.
He was always on top and raced to a 5up lead at the turn after a blistering start. Despite a spirited comeback by Houghton, who got it back to three down, Mitchell secured the win at the 16th to take the title.
• The last of the summer finals, the Holmes Foursomes Trophy, was won by brothers Richard and Mark Laud.
They defeated Robin Exley and Stewart Barnett in a thrilling contest at the first extra hole.
The Lauds were two down at the turn but came back to be all square after 16 holes (including an eagle three on the par five 13th).
Exley and Barnett won the 17th with a nett eagle and looked set to win on the last, but failed to convert a short putt and the Lauds won the first extra hole with a concession to take the trophy.
The losing semi-finalists were Andrew Grimwood & Steve Wade and Phil Wakefield & Phil Tweddell.
• Ladies’ section: Lady vice-captain Norma Parker stormed to victory in the September Sunday medal with a nett 70 in blustery conditions.
It earned her a place in the gold medal as well as a reduction in handicap to 15. Winner of the bronze category was Tracey Siddle with a nett 74.
Another great round came from Dianne Platt on a score of plus four to win the first round of the Groom Shield and she also had a handicap reduction of one to nine.
• In the last two matches of the season, Spalding halved the game away at Belton Park 2-2 and won at home to Greetham Valley 2.5-1.5.
Against Belton Park, Eileen Bridge and Norma Parker lost 5&4, Maureen Orwell and Janet Earth won 2&1, Lesley Plumpton and Hannah Thorold lost 2&1 and Bev Harpham and Debra Ward won 1up.
Meanwhile, against Greetham Valley Angela Roper and Anita Cross won 5&4, Della Walker and Beryl Skinner halved, Phyl Borst and Noreen Tointon won 1up and Angela Hunt and Jenny Wilson lost 3&2.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
DESPITE heavy storms, a Sutton Bridge quartet won the annual Lincolnshire Union of Golf Club’s Rita Hurst Salver.
Play was interrupted by a hail storm followed by thunder and lightning.
But Mark Charnley, Richard Ambrose, Mike Bell and Paul Lawrence, with the best three cards from four, headed off a strong challenge from the Sudbrook Moor Golf Club team of Martin Corby, Paul Williamson, Phil Hall and Peter Martin.
Best individual score: 1st Paul Williamson 39 pts (ocb); 2nd Michael Little (Humberstone Golf Club).
• Ladies’ section: March halved with Sutton Bridge (Linda Searle & Carole Whitelam; Jane Rose & Margaret Fox; Beryl Stockton & Wendy Fenner; Brenda Bell & Betty Reeve).
• Cottage Cup – 1st Margaret Fox 92–19=73 (ocb); 2nd Jeannette McEwan 86–13=73; 3rd Jenny Wells 102–22=80. Best Scratch – Jeannette McEwan.
• Mixed section: Sutton Bridge Mixed 1 Spalding Mixed 5 (Team: Barry Irwin & Linda Searle; John & Ann Cross; Roy & Margaret Fox; Norman & Ann Davis; Terry Young & Jane Rose; John Cropper & Beryl Stockton).
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Men’s section: Weekend Away at Barnham Broom: Day One – 1st Greg Walsh 43pts; 2nd Jimmy Readman 42pts; 3rd Paul Day 41pts; 4th Andy Davies 40pts. Nearest the pins (hole two) – Kerr Page; (hole six) – Roy Britton; (hole 11) – Paul Day; (hole 17) – Mike Page. Day 2 – 1st Nigel Grummitt 36pts (ocb); 2nd Nigel Baines 36; 3rd Eric Cowles 35 (ocb); 4th Eddie Grange 35. Nearest the pins (hole four) – Merv Davies; (hole seven) – Rob Newns; (hole 15) – Roy Britton; (hole 17) – Nick Markillie. Overall winner – Nick Markillie 81pts; runner-up – Rob Newns 74.
• Seniors’ section: Gedney Hill 4 RAF Marham 3 (Doug Aitken & Don Hinshelwood lost 2&1, Dick Upton & David Hyams halved, Len Kempster & Ron Mountcastle won 3&1, Carol Plume & Bob Wishart halved, Bill Sharpe & Stuart Field won 2&1, Mick Drury & Neil Sargeant lost 4&3; Roy Britton & Peter Orbine won 6&4). Kirton Holme 0 Gedney Hill 6 (Rob Newns & Carl Claxton won 2&1, Bob Duke & Peter Orbine won 2&1, Wally Lawes & Bill Sharpe won 1 up, David Lord & Keith Cooper won 2&1, John Venters & Carol Plume won 1 up, Roy Britton & Gavin Staite won 4&2).