Andy Rafferty and Di Platt defeated defending champions Lloyd Chatham and Jackie Bailey-Scott to take Spalding Golf Club’s Somers mixed greensome matchplay title.
The on-song duo won the final summer knock-out competition 3&1 at the Surfleet course after an impressive showing on the back nine.
The early holes were evenly contested, with the defending champions just 1up at the turn.
But pars at holes 11, 12 and 13 gave Rafferty & Platt a 2up lead which they held onto with a few good putts until they sealed the victory on the 17th.
The losing semi-finalists were Russell Steels and Angela Maltby and Martin and Debra Ward.
• In the last inter-club social match of the season, Spalding had a convincing home victory against Rutland County GC, winning 5-0 with one game halved.
Winning pairs for hosts were Peter Bridge and Lawrie Haley (3&2), Roy White and Dave Perrott (6&4), John Camm and Mark Cooley (3&2), Keith Moore and Chris Moxon (2&1) and Graham Chamberlain and Mark Jones (1up).
James Douglas and Phil Tweddell halved their game.
• In another summer knock-out final, 17-year-old Oliver Mitchell is the club’s scratch matchplay champion after a 1up victory over defending champion Andy Grimwood.
In a high quality final with plenty of birdies from both players, it was all square after 13 holes. But wins at 14 and a birdie at 15 gave Mitchell a 2up lead, which was reduced to one after Grimwood won the 17th. Mitchell was off line with his drive at the last, but a superb recovery shot enabled him to par the hole, which was enough for him to take the much coveted Landale Scragg Trophy.
The losing semi-finalists were Phil Packard and Dan Hines.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Ladies’ section: Cottage Cup: 1st Margaret Fox 103-21=82 (ocb); 2nd Betty Reeve 118–36=82; 3rd Jen Baines 104 -21=83. Best Scratch score Margaret Fox.
• October Medal: 1st Margaret Fox 99-21=78; 2nd Ann Davis 105-26=79 (ocb); 3rd Suzanne Aitken 115-36=79.
• Result: Feltwell 1.5 Sutton Bridge 1.5.
• Seniors’ section: Result: Sutton Bridge 2.5 Middleton 3.5 (Roger Williamson & Stan Poulten lost 5&4; John Cross & Tony Town lost 4&3; Chris Shipp & Charlie Waling halved; Norman Davis & Harold Shingleton lost 2&1; Ray Page & Roy Fox won 2&1; Don Robinson & Noel Clare won 3&2).
• Result: Ramsey 3.5 Sutton Bridge 2.5 (Roger Williamson & Chris Shipp lost 5&3; Harold Shingleton & Noel Clare lost 5&3; Norman Davis & Don Robinson won 1up; Ray Page & Roy Amos won 5&3; Roy Fox & Stan Poulten halved; Tony Town & Mervyn Williamson lost 3&2.
• Mixed section: Mixed Foursomes: 1st Steen Catlow & Ann Davis 28points; 2nd Roy Fox & Ann Cross 27points; 3rd Norman Davis & Jen Baines 25points.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Ladies Section: Sunday Stableford: 1st Petra Meir 35pts; 2nd Maria Taylor-Vassall 34pts ; 3rd Karen Slator (ocb) 31pts.
• Thursday Medal (sponsored by Dawbarns & Son): 1st Karen Slator 76; 2nd Maria Taylor-Vassall 81; 3rd Petra Meir 82.
• Sunday Medal (sponsored by Dawbarns & Son): 1st Christine Burton 73 ; 2nd Petra Meir 77; 3rd Karen Slator 82.
• Dawbarns & Son September Medal: 1st Christine Burton 93 (73nett).
• Hope Hooper Trophy: Winner 1st Maria Taylor-Vassall 38pts; 2nd Sue Horspool 37pts; 3rd Lorraine Gallie (ocb) 31.
• Captain versus vice vaptains match: Captain’s team 4 .5 VC team 2 .5.
• Summer Eclectic Competition: Category 0-24: 1st Soon Letchford 51; 2nd Lorraine Gallie 57; 3rd Maria Taylor-Vassall 60. Cat 25-36 : 1st Joan Clifton 60; 2nd Nicola Stead 64; 3rd Mary Frost 69.
• 2013 Gamebird Open: 1st Pam King & Jean Markham 39 (ocb); 2nd Lorraine Gallie & Bev Harpham 39; 3rd Kathy Yates & Jenny Geeson 38 ; 4th Barbara Stone & Joan Clifton 37; 5th Brenda Neill & Julie Proctor 36 (ocb); 6th Maggie Clarkson & Judy Curtis 36.
• Result: Orton Meadows 1 Tydd Ladies’ 3.
• Mixed Championship: 1st Sue Racey & Ady Bills 40pts (ocb); 2nd Jackie Maton & Tim Hines 40pts.
• Men’s section: Men’s International Pairs:1st John Nobbs & Paul Bunting 62.25; 2nd Dene Wright & Mark Gostic 62.75; 3rd Mark Whittaker & Andy Jackson 63.