SPALDING Golf Club’s men eased their way into the second round of the Elsham county foursomes competition with an emphatic 8up away win at Seacroft.
Having last won the event back in 2009, Spalding are back on the trophy trail again and will visit either North Shore or Canwick next.
The format of the county even consists of three pairs playing the full 18 holes off scratch, with the combined matchplay score to count.
Despite the wet and windy conditions in the opener at Skegness, the links course was in very good condition.
Spalding’s first pair out was Simon Richardson and club stalwart Richard Laud – and they were having a tough time of it at one down after 15 holes. But a birdie on 16 squared the game and gave the duo the impetus to win the remaining two holes and finish 2up.
Father and son pairing Mark and Oliver Mitchell were always in control of their game, playing superb golf in difficult circumstances.
The talented team were 5up at one stage, which included a couple of birdies, before eventually winning 4up.
Meanwhile, the final pairing of Steve Wade and Andy Grimwood were being pushed all the way in the early part of their game.
They were one down at the turn, but a win on the par three 10th hole squared the game up and the experienced pair went on to seal the victory with a 2up win.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
GEDNEY Hill’s 23rd Anniversary Open Competition attracted 111 entrants – and the prizes included free club membership.
• Members’ results: 1st Stuart Sharpe 40pts; 2nd Paul Hanson 38 (ocb); 3rd Wally Lawes 38; 4th Jim Starbuck 38; 5th Ian Waters 38; 6th Andy Davies 37 (ocb). Non-Members: 1st Roy Mason 42pts; 2nd Karl Hanson 40; 3rd Steve Machin 37(acb); 4th Colin Gildon 37; 5th Phil Corn 36; 6th Jordon Hanson 35. Nearest the pins: 3rd – Jake Tamber; 4th – Chris Bennett; 11th – Nick Markillie; 12th – Robert Davis. Longest Drive: 15th – Robert Davis.
• Seniors’ section: April Medal: Category One – 1st Rob Newns 67; 2nd Peter Orbine 68. Cat Two – 1st Tom Penning 70; 2nd Len Kempster 75. Cat Three – 1st Neil Sargeant 71; 2nd Mick Bliss 79.
• Results: Eagles 2 Gedney Hill 4 (Doug Aitken & Tom Penning lost 1 down, Carol Plume & Malcolm Oliver won 3&2, Stuart Field & Ron Walpole lost 3&2, Dave Spridgen & Bill Smith won 2&1, Roy Britton & Don Hinshelwood won 3&1, Carl Claxton & Rob Newns won 4&2). Pottergate 3 Gedney Hill 3 (David Lord & Keith Cooper won 5&4, Wally Lawes & Bill Sharpe lost 2&1, Bob Duke & Peter Orbine lost 4&3, Rob Newns & Carol Plume halved, John Venters & Bob Townsend halved, Peter Evans & Bill Smith won 2&1).
• Ladies’ section: Gedney Hill 4 Eagles 0 (Janet Davies & Ann Chick won 1up, Jenny Venters & Kim Markillie won 4&3, Maggie Bingham & Christine Lord won 10&8, Marilyn Sayer & Chris Bennett won 2 up).
• Mixed friendly competition: Thorney Lakes 4 Gedney Hill 2 (Janet Davis & Stefan Markillie lost 3&1, Shirley & Richard Senior lost 3&1, Chris & Roy Bennett won 6&4, Kim & Nick Markillie lost 1 down, Nicky & Ian Weller won 3&2, Ann Chick & Nigel Baines lost 5&4).
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
TYDD’s men have marched into the fourth round of the Mail on Sunday Golf Classic competition.
Playing in atrocious conditions against RAF Marham on home soil, the third round tie would have to have been cancelled but for a loyal bunch of helpers working tirelessly to continually remove water from the greens.
Tydd won 4-1 to book a trip to Boston West in the next round.
• Results: Ady Bills won 4&2, Paul Chaplain-Barton won 2&1, Neil John lost 6&5, Andy Betts won 3&2, Kevin Goude won 7&6.
• South Lincolnshire Scratch League: Results – Greetham Valley 3 Tydd St Giles 3 (Andy Betts & Jamie Stott lost 4&3, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Rod Drew lost 3&1, Lee Willis & John Tyler won 1up, Luke Rowell & Adey Bills won 3&2, Kevin Goude & Malcolm Stead won 5&3, Leigh Chapman & Tim Hines lost 4&2).
• Results: Tydd B 2 Belton Woods 4.
• Seniors’ section: Middleton Hall 3.5 Tydd St Giles 2.5 (Terry Sambridge & Baz Smith halved, Brian Newby & Brian Gough won 4&3, Paul Jackson & Ged Taylor won 5&4, Steve Hart & David Morris lost 1 down, Mike Brown & Kerbad Daboo lost 7&6, Gerry Sherriff & Mike Parker lost 4&2).
• Ladies’ section: Round four proved to be the end of the line for Tydd’s ladies in the Mail on Sunday competition as they went down 4-1 at Oundle.
The match was much closer than the score suggests, with the Tydd team giving a good account of themselves on a testing course.
• Other ladies’ section results: Stableford (February rearrangement) – 1st Sylvia Illsley 32pts; 2nd Val Sambridge 30pts; 3rd Karen Slator 29pts. Medal Winners’ Trophy: 1st Christina Stevenson 69 (nett). Thursday Stableford: 1st Soon Letchford 39pts; 2nd Christina Stevenson 32pts; 3rd Lin Walker 31pts. Sunday Stableford: 1st Karen Slator 33pts; 2nd Petra Meir (ocb) 32pts; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall 32pts. Thursday Medal: 1st Jackie Maton 78 (nett); 2nd Petra Meir 80 (nett); 3rd Lin. Walker (ocb) 82 (nett). Sunday Medal: 1st Nicola Stead 75 (nett); 2nd Karen Slator 78 (nett); 3rd Sylvia Illsley 79 (nett). Mr Smith’s Bakery April Medal: 1st Nicola Stead 75 (nett). Winter Eclectic competition: Handicaps 0-24 – 1st Christine Burton; 2nd Jackie Maton; 3rd Sue Racey. Handicaps 25-36 – 1st Nicola Stead; 2nd Petra Meir; 3rd Mary Frost. Team results: Kirton Holme 0 Tydd 4; Tydd 1.5 Middtelton 2.5.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Ladies’ section: Ladies Cancer Charity competition: 1st Jeannette McEwan 37pts; 2nd Suzanne Larham 33pts; 3rd Rebecca Lonslow 31pts.
• May Medal: 1st Ann Davis 100–25=75; 2nd Suzanne Larham 108–27=81; 3rd Jen Baines 110–23=87.
• Match result: Boston 3 Sutton Bridge 1 (Team: Linda Searle & Betty Reeve, Jenny Wells & Jill McEwan, Ann Davis & Suzanne Larham, Ann Cross & Jen Baines.
• Mixed section: Result – Sutton Bridge 5 Feltwell 1 (Team: Geoff Coombs & Janet Simpson won 1up, Colin Fawcett & Suzanne Larham won 4&2, Norman & Ann Davis won 5&3, John Caney & Carole Caney lost 2&1, John & Ann Cross won 2&1, Mike & Brenda Bell won 9&7).
• Seniors’ section: Results – Sutton Bridge 3 King’s Lynn 4 (played over just nine holes due to torrential rain) (Roger Williamson & Charlie Waling halved, Norman Davis & Andy Parks lost 1 down, Richard Titchener & John Cross halved, Roy Fox & Harold Shingleton won 1up, David Matthews & Peter Wailes won 3up, Roy Amos & Noel Clare lost 5 down, Ray Page & Don Robinson lost 2 down). Sutton Bridge 4.5 Boston 3.5 (Team: Chris Shipp & John Cross halved, Steve Saffer & Derek Chapman lost 6&5, Ray Page & Keith Robinson won 2up, Brian Bowell & Noel Clare won 3&1, Alan Quince & Harold Shingleton lost 1 down, Roy Fox & John Cropper won 6&5, Norman Davis & Don Robinson won 5&3, Roy Amos & Roger Williamson lost 2 down).