SPALDING Cycling Club ace Jennifer McAndrew booked a place at the National Schools Championship finals with a dazzling display at Alford.
Along with Harry Bellars, McAndrew was in action at the Lincolnshire round of the National Schools 10 mile Time Trial Championship.
On a challenging course with winds along the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, clocked a personal best of 27.29mins – taking over one minute off her previous best an winning the girls’ competition by just under a minute.
Bellars also had an excellent ride, despite rainy conditions to record a time of 24.57. His hard work was rewarded with second place in his age group.
• JEREMY Hargrave just edged out Alex Avery in an incredibly tight third round of the Spalding CC 17 mile Time Trial League.
Held on the usual Pode Hole to Bourne course, Hargrave pipped the charging Avery by just two seconds to take the win.
Many potential riders were deterred by poor weather in the hours leading up to the 7pm start, meaning numbers were a little down on normal.
But those riders determined to ride were rewarded with better conditions than first thought and several personal best times were set by Harry Bellars, Gareth Richards and Gareth Pates.
Bellars’ time was enough to secure third place.
• Results: Jeremy Hargrave 39.50mins; Alex Avery 39.52; Harry Bellars 41.40 (PB); Neil Palmer 42.02; Andrew Gurney 42.07; Chris Ward 42.44; John Young 43.39; Gareth Richards 45.17 (PB); Ben Richards 46.16; Sam Bentley 47.05; Aimmee Stocker 47.30; Peter Daniels (D) 49.19; Gareth Pates 50.17 (PB); Barry Drew 50.20. Guests – Mark & Sian Botteley 44.06 (Bourne Wheelers); Tom Drew 46:15 (Tri).
• ROUND Two of SCC’s 17 mile Time Trial League: Jeremy Hargrave put in another excellent showing in his first year back to full time competition and he topped the leaderboard with a gap of over 40 seconds to his nearest challenger.
Neil Palmer recorded a personal best on his way to second place, while Chris Ward and Ben Richards also clocked new bests.
• Results: Jeremy Hargrave 39.24mins; Neil Palmer 41.07 (PB); Ian Fensom 41.15; Chris Pratt 41.16; Chris Ward 42.05 (PB); John Young 43.35; Andy Pack 44.41; Ben Richards 44.49 (PB); David Thornley 45.21; Gareth Richards 46.06; Derek Chamberlain 46.15; Gary Bentley 46.54; Aimmee Stocker 47.02; Sam Bentley 47.24; Chris Peel 47.30; Sarah Plows 48.30; Barry Drew 43.33; Brett Shepherd 49.38; Kate Peel 51.11; Adrian Thurston 51.12. Guests – Steve Thompson (Tri) 42.59; Tom Drew (Tri) 45.19.
• ROUND nine of Spalding’s Go Ride sessions for junior riders was held at Spalding Rugby Club – and Matt Ellis maintained his strong grip on the leaderboard.
Behind Ellis, Jake Norton and Reece Moradkhan fought hard all the way to the line – with the latter sneaking second place.
Tilly Gurney controlled the girls’ race from the front, while Harriet Moore battled back to take second after suffering a hard fall. Third girl was Sophie Wright, who just edged out her rival and friend Megan Kendall.
In the Hubs’ race it was newcomer Jay McClearon who took top place on the podium again with Harry Garfield giving chase all the way to the line. Jack Hargrave came as third boy.
First-placed girl – and third overall – was Ellie Peel, but she faced a strong challenge from a very determined Erin Langford, while Mimi Gurney managed a fine third palce.
• Results: 1st Matt Ellis; 2nd Reece Moradkhan; 3rd Jake Norton; 4th Jake Peel; 5th Jacob Santry; 6th Robert McAndrew; 7rd Tom Burton; 8th Tilly Gurney (first girl); 9th Tom Webster; 10th Harriet Moore (second girl); 11th Jack Roffe; 12 Theo Lawless Hughes; 13th Jack Hughes; 14th Ed Gurney; 15th Bryn Richards; 16th Tom Wright; 17th Sullivan Smith; 18th Ben Norton; 19th Warren Eve; 20th Sophie Wright (third girl); 21st Megan Kendall; 22th Ethan Hubbard; 23rd Molly Peel; 24th Daniel Brackstone; 25th Emily Richards; 26th Tia Miller; 27th Caitlin Langford. Hubs race – 1st Jay McClearon; 2nd Harry Garfield; 3rd Ellie Peel; 4th Erin Langford; 5th Jack Hughes; 6th Mimi Gurney; 7th Henry Roffe; 8th James Eve.