Clarke clipped as his race ends early on

Aaron Clarke pictured at Thruxton. Photo: Dave Yeomans.
Aaron Clarke pictured at Thruxton. Photo: Dave Yeomans.
Have your say

It turned out to be a difficult weekend for draperRACING riders Aaron Clarke and Tommy Philp - as neither rider was able to bring points back to the team from Thruxton.

Kirton’s Clarke was struggling with the hot weather and lack of grip with his tyres.

He began the Superstock 600 race from the eighth row and got away to a fantastic start.

But as he went into turn three a rider ahead fell, taking another rider with him who, in turn, clipped Aaron and also took him down, an unfortunate early end to a race that held promise for the Lincolnshire rider.

He said: “I got a mega start and was heading towards a strong points finish but it was all over at turn three when I was taken down.

“I have hurt my ankle again and have a few bruises but otherwise I am ok.

“The bike has suffered only cosmetic damage which is a relief.

“I am so annoyed as once again it was not my fault.

“But that’s racing and we have to take the rough with the smooth.”

Philp was riding in the sixth round of the British Supersport championship but couldn’t quite find a good set up for the tricky conditions on the fast and bumpy Hampshire circuit.

He qualified the Yamaha for a seventh-row start to the short sprint race on Saturday, but the hot weather conditions coupled with the difficult track surface made short work of the tyres and he completed the race in 21st position.

He started Sunday’s feature race from the ninth row, near to the back of the grid.

But he got his head down and, once his tyres had some warmth in them, he began to reel in the riders ahead.

A late surge saw him clock fast lap times as he finished in 21st spot again.

In a twist of fate two riders who finished ahead were disqualified after a post-race check on their bikes, so Philp was elevated to 19th place.

The next round is at Brands Hatch from August 5-7.