Home   Sport   Article

MATCH VERDICT: Moulton Harrox miss out in Senior Cup final

Moulton Harrox captain Billy King
Moulton Harrox captain Billy King

Moulton Harrox were runners-up in the PFA Senior Cup for the sixth time - despite holding a half-time advantage.

Marcus Parry's clinical finish on 29 minutes put Harrox ahead against Netherton United at Peterborough United's ABAX Stadium on Thursday night.

But Netherton captured the cup for the first time in their history - hitting back in the second period as Ondre Odain levelled then Tommy Randall headed home, Herbie Panting added a third goal and Jack Barron made it 4-2.

Danny Maddison pulled one back at 3-2 with a penalty but Moulton were unable to force a shoot-out.

They had lost all three previous meetings with Netherton this season by an aggregate score of 11-2.

The city side finished six points clear at the top of the ChromaSport & Trophies Peterborough and District League's Premier Division.

Netherton took control of the early exchanges as Wayne Wilding denied Randall and Ryan Wood while Moulton made a series of blocks inside the penalty box.

Odain appeared to have broken the deadlock, only for his tap-in to be disallowed for offside.

Moulton gradually got into the game and Declan Earth's quickly-taken free-kick released Parry who poked the ball past keeper Aaron Keir.

Netherton should have levelled on the stroke of half-time as Randall raced clear down the left and fired wide of the far post.

Just before the hour mark, Wilding was called into action again when he parried Zack Fisher's drive.

Odain swept in the equaliser from close range following Randall's right-wing cross.

Randall nodded in Panting's perfectly-delivered centre from the other flank as Netherton went ahead just four minutes later.

Soon afterwards, it was 3-1 when Panting converted Wood's free-kick.

Billy King and Joe Townsend came close for Moulton before substitute Maddison converted from the spot following handball by Mark Baines.

Barron fired into the bottom corner with four minutes to go, securing Netherton's fourth trophy of the season.

Netherton United
Netherton United


4-4-2: Wilding; McGuire, Watkin, Cawthorne, Johnson; Townsend, King, Kisla (sub Maddison 75 mins), Earth (sub Lambe-Hyner 84 mins); Parry, Bradbury (sub Steadman 61 mins). Subs not used: Groves, Farrell.


3-4-1-2: Keir; Hansford, Madigan (sub McDonough 66 mins), Panting; Wood, Jackson, Baines, Barron; Randall; Fisher (sub Ellis 71 mins), Odain (sub Daly 85 mins). Subs not used: Heming, Gibbs.


Neil Smith.


Parry (29 mins, 1-0); Odain (62 mins, 1-1); Randall (66 mins, 1-2); Panting (71 mins, 1-3); Maddison pen (80 mins, 2-3); Barron (86 mins, 2-4).


Barron (foul); King (dissent); Steadman, McDonough (unsporting behaviour).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More