Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Bourne fall short at home to area rivals Harrowby

Was Bourne Town’s opening day league win at Sileby Rangers a false dawn?

On the evidence of Tuesday’s night defeat to South Kesteven rivals Harrowby United, the second in a row at home for the Wakes, joint managers Nathan Arnold and Simon Daws have plenty of work ahead of them to turn their side around.

Or maybe a complete change of culture is needed, both within and around the JJ Mac Stadium, something hinted by club chairman Adrian Glover in the match programme when he said: “We all need reminding that no one is expecting a miracle overnight.”

Bourne Town's Kieran Cummings attacks Harrowby United defender Mathias Amporisem at the JJ Mac Stadium. Photo by Chris Lowndes.
Bourne Town's Kieran Cummings attacks Harrowby United defender Mathias Amporisem at the JJ Mac Stadium. Photo by Chris Lowndes.

Arnold occupied a space on the right of Bourne’s three-man central midfield where he could do nothing to stop his side going behind in less than five minutes.

Harrowby midfielder Alex Hales picked up team-mate Alfie Sheen on the right of the Wakes’ penalty box and his cross was headed home by Sam Thorpe.

Hales could have put the Arrows in front minutes earlier when his 18-yard shot cannoned off the crossbar.

Nervy Bourne could have put themselves out of the game shortly after going behind when a loose pass was collected by Sheen who shot wide when aiming for the near post.

But Bourne weathered the storm and Notts County academy product Kieran Cummings attacked the Harrowby back line before aiming a delicious cross at the far post which was missed by Wakes’ forward George Couzens.

Then Hales and Mustapha went close for the visitors as it seemed only a matter of time before they doubled their lead.

However, Bourne levelled things up when a short throw landed at the feet of Arnold who crossed into the box where Couzens was hand to flick the ball home.

Bourne’s optimism lasted just five minutes as a long ball sent Sheen clear to beat Nick Eatough with a powerful shot at the near post.

In the second half, Sam Hill should have put the Arrows out of sight when he headed a Mustapha free kick wide and then substitute Kadeem Price was given two chances to open his account for the night, heading over and firing wide.

But with a quarter of an hour to go, another long ball from the Harrowby half was left by Eatough and Price pounced to direct his shot into the Bourne net.


4-5-1: Eatough; Moss, Baldock-Smith, Mason, Cardell; Cummings, Arnold, Horton, Rook (sub Russell, 70 mins), Stainfield (sub Hamza, 81 mins); Couzens.Subs not used: Fowler, Fisher, Gaukroger.


3-1-4-2: McGann; Amponsem, Stubbs, Anderson; Hill; Mustapha (sub Olivant, 81 mins), Hales, Harper (sub Yeniberitz, 45 mins), Rigby; Sheen, Thorpe (sub Price, 62 mins).Subs not used: Warman, Wikinson.


Simon Lilley.


Thorpe (0-1, 4 mins); Couzens (33 mins, 1-1); Sheen (1-2, 38 mins); Price (1-3, 74 mins).




Andy Moss - the full back was one of Bourne’s more consistent players on the night, defending the right flank well and linking up with pacey winger Kieran Cummings as the opportunities presented themselves.


Melton Town (A) - Saturday.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More