Tulips miss out on thomas

Andy Tidswell
Andy Tidswell
Have your say

Spalding boss Pat Rayment has missed out on bringing Jordan Thomas back to the club but admits he is more than happy with his strike force.

Thomas impressed while on loan from Lincoln City last season and Rayment was hoping to lure him back to the club, but the striker has accepted a university placement in Northumbria.

Rayment said: “I fully endorse his decision. I want to bring in a young, hungry striker and Jordan would have fitted the bill perfectly but there are a couple of other strikers we are looking at.

“I am not in any rush though because I have two very good forwards in Mark Jones and Andy Tidswell.

“Any club up to step two level would love to have these two lads.

“Mark is six foot three, is pacy and has real physicality, while Andy is a class act.

“Considering he has been playing for so long at just 70 per cent fitness, it’s scary to think what he could do with the other 30 per cent when he is fully fit.

“He is much more than a striker though. He can play as an attacking midfielder because he is so good at seeing runs.”

Despite Tidswell’s prolific record in recent seasons, Rayment is relaxed about the possibility of losing his star striker.

He added: “He is under contract, he’s playing for his hometown club and he is progressing very well thanks to the coaching of Marcus Ebdon.

“He’s excited by the quality of the signings we have made so I don’t feel I need to worry.”

Rayment yesterday held talks with a midfielder about a move to the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field.

He said: “The player has a great deal of experience but we haven’t agreed terms yet.”