Tulips book place in next round

Jamie Thurlbourne is congratulated by skipper Michael Leary after Spalding's third goal. Photo: TIM WILSON
Jamie Thurlbourne is congratulated by skipper Michael Leary after Spalding's third goal. Photo: TIM WILSON
Have your say

Spalding United 4 Holwell Sports 0

The long road at Wembley has reached another junction where it’s all about the prize money and what might 
happen next.

Four goals secured Spalding United’s place in the FA Cup second qualifying round as they collected £3,000.

The result is much more important than the level of performance.

And it needed patience for Spalding to see off Holwell Sports from the East Midlands 
Counties League with three late goals to make absolutely sure.

Man of the match Lewis Webb – who produced an 
outstanding display in central midfield – broke the deadlock three minutes before half-time.

Substitutes Ash Burbeary and Lewis McKue were both on target towards the end of the second period while in 
between Jamie Thurlbourne’s deflected free-kick killed off any chance of a fightback.

A fourth successive win for Spalding was comfortable as they again created plenty of chances and wasted most of them.

The early signs were very positive as Holwell captain 
Richard Cragg made saves from Tom Waumsley, Mitch Griffiths and Luke Thurlbourne.

Waumsley scuffed a shot wide and then somehow 
failed to convert when Adam Jackson’s long-range drive 
was tipped onto the crossbar.

However, there were a 
few scares at the other end as well.

Michael Duggan made a 
superb save to push the ball wide when Joe Williams’ shot clipped off Kern Miller.

The Tulips number one also punched out Liam 
Chapman’s 20-yard free-kick to keep it all-square.

Five minutes later Webb tapped into an empty net as Waumsley broke free and squared the ball across the six-yard box.

Waumsley went clean through again early in the 
second half but a poor touch allowed Cragg to gather.

Andrew Tidswell hit the far post but there was another 
warning when Chris Missit sent a free header straight at Duggan.

Moments later, Cragg’s kick hit a defender and the mayhem led to Spalding’s 
second goal – eventually.

Griffiths’ shot was cleared off the line by Aaron Ridout via the post and Tidswell played the rebound to Burbeary for the finishing touch.

Thurlbourne’s free-kick wrong-footed Cragg to make 
it 3-0 and there was no way back for Holwell.

McKue saw a shot pushed over but the teenager wasn’t to be denied.

He was left with a simple 
tap-in on 89 minutes after brilliant work by substitute 
Mark Jones in his first 
appearance of the season.

Overall it wasn’t the best performance but Spalding made it through.


4-4-2: Duggan 8; Bore 7, Miller 7, Leary 7, Jackson 7; Griffiths 7, Webb 9, L Thurlbourne 7 (sub McKue 66 mins, 7), J Thurlbourne 7; Tidswell 7 (sub Jones 78 mins), Waumsley 7 (sub Burbeary 59 mins, 7). Subs not used: G Stainfield, Roberts.


4-4-2: Cragg; Randall, Roe, Ridout, Chapman; Hallam, Williams, Missit, I Wells; Stannard (sub Mooney 66 mins), G Wells (sub Calver 81 mins). Subs not used: Andrew, Young.


Nathan Walker.


Webb (42 mins, 1-0); Burbeary 
(76 mins, 2-0); J Thurlbourne 
(79 mins, 3-0); McKue (89 mins, 4-0).


Bore (foul).




Lewis Webb – got the opening goal in outstanding display from the heart of the team.


Newcastle Town (H) – Evo-Stik League First Division South, Saturday.