‘Tremendous’ display keeps dreams alive

Gary King scores the winner. Photos by Adam Fairbrother
Gary King scores the winner. Photos by Adam Fairbrother
Have your say

Emirates FA Cup preliminary round - Wisbech Town 0 Holbeach United 1

Holbeach United boss Darren Jarvis praised his side’s game management after seeing off title rivals Wisbech Town at The Elgoods Stadium.

Gary King’s second-half strike saw the Tigers advance to the first qualifying round and keep their FA Cup dream intact.

It was no more than they deserved against their United Counties League hosts.

A delighted Jarvis said: “It was a 1-0 win which we were totally in control of and our game management was second-to-none.

“Defensively we were excellent from front to back and our back four, especially the full-backs, were tremendous.

“We knew that Wisbech’s quality is out wide and that they’ve got some tremendous attacking talents in that area, but we kept both of their wide men quiet.

“We had three or four good opportunities in the first half, hit the woodwork in the second and over the 90 minutes we were worthy winners.

“This win means a tremendous amount to the players, the management team and myself.”

The Tigers controlled Saturday’s tie from start to finish.

In the opening minute, Paul Cousins conceded possession but Tom Gosling failed to capitalise on the error with a tame shot wide of the target.

Gosling then saw an effort well-saved by Aaron Butcher after Tommy Treacher’s initial effort had been deflected into his path.

Holbeach continued to hold the upper hand with Andrew Tidswell’s turn and shot well blocked by Jon Fairweather.

A mistake by Declan Rogers saw Dan Worthington thread the ball through for Gosling who was again denied by Butcher when one-on-one.

The hosts offered little in the opening 45 minutes with Chris Bacon nodding over.

Holbeach remained in control after the interval with Wisbech failing to seriously trouble Rick Drury.

Seconds before King’s winner, Jake Clitheroe saw his header cannon back off the woodwork. King had another effort brilliantly blocked by Paul Cousins as the Tigers threatened to add to their tally.


4-3-3: Butcher, Hipwell, Johnson (sub Horne 85 mins), Brand, Fairweather, Cousins, Sparrow (sub Cobb 70 mins), Hughes, Bacon (sub Rogers 67 mins), Smith. Subs not used: Wilson, Gale.


4-4-2: Drury 7, Worthington 8, Ward 8, Warfield 8, Cartwright 8, Stevens 8, Clitheroe 9, Tidswell 8, Gosling 8 (sub Maltby 67 mins, 7), Treacher 8, King 8. Subs not used: Clay, Keeble, Newcombe, Madigan, Roberts.


Andy Gray.


King (61 mins, 0-1).


Sparrow, Treacher (dissent); Beaumont, Cartwright, Gosling (fouls).




Jake Clitheroe – a huge performance from a young man in such an important game.


Boston Town (A) – UCL Premier Division, Tuesday.