TIGERS: Chand fumes at ref as Holbeach hit a Wall

Winner: Stuart Wall buries Lynn's controversial winner on Boxing Day. Photo by TIM SMITH
Winner: Stuart Wall buries Lynn's controversial winner on Boxing Day. Photo by TIM SMITH
Have your say

KING’S LYNN TOWN 1 (Wall 70) HOLBEACH UNITED 0: ANGRY John Chand hit out at referee Pete Goodacre after seeing Holbeach’s eight-game winning streak hit a Wall at The Walks on Boxing Day.

The Tigers boss, who called for a strong official in the build-up to the top-of-the-table UCL Premier Division clash, was fuming at the decision to allow Stuart Wall’s late winner to stand.

Chand was also adamant that Dan Flack was denied a “stone-wall” penalty in the first half and felt Ashley Stevens could have earned a spot-kick after the break. Seeing all the key decisions on YouTube after the game only fuelled Chand’s fire, too.

But the Holbeach supremo was more gracious in his praise for league leaders King’s Lynn – even though he reckons a draw would have been the right result.

“The referee got all of the critical decisions wrong and I told him as much,” barked Chand, whose side are now eight points behind Lynn in second. “Jamie Stevens was pushed over before they scored and we’ve had two strong penalty shouts. The one on Flacky is a stone-waller.

“Having seen the incidents again on YouTube, it’s clear for everyone to see.

“Overall, a draw would have been the right result. It was a good game played in front of a great crowd at a good club, it’s just a shame Mr Goodacre wasn’t up to standard.

“It’s no disgrace to lose to Lynn, I’m just frustrated, as are the players.”

With a hefty crowd of 1,040 – the biggest in the UCL Premier Division this season – packed into The Walks on Monday, the stage was set for a Christmas cracker.

But the first-half was a cagey affair, with the Flack penalty incident the main flashpoint. The Holbeach midfielder appeared to be scythed down by Jamie Thurlbourne, but a corner was given.

The Linnets’ Robbie Harris had the best chance of the half, but flicked over just before the interval.

Andrew Tidswell had a goal chalked off for offside ten minutes into the second period, while Ashley Stevens was wrestled to the ground inside the penalty box – but the visitors’ appeal again fell on death ears.

Holbeach keeper Leigh Overton pulled off an incredible stop to keep out a Thurlbourne free kick at the other end, before Lynn broke the deadlock 20 minutes from time.

That man Thurlbourne delivered a corner for Wall to head home from close range, but the Tigers felt Jamie Stevens was flattened seconds before the goal.

After that, Lynn could have stretched their lead through Steve Spriggs or Liam Harrold – but the Tigers certainly impressed in defeat.

Lynn boss Gary Setchell said: “Holbeach are a very good side and I expect them to finish in the top-four this season.

“There was very little between the two teams but I always felt we could nick the game from a set piece because of our extra height.”

Lynn: Street, Fryatt, Yong, Buhlemann, Wall, Hughes, Spriggs, L Thurlbourne (White), Harrold, Harris (Beaumont), J Thurlbourne (Coe).

Tigers: Overton, Allen, Jackson, Kennedy, B Brown (Keeble), J Stevens, Flack, Goodhand, Tidswell, A Stevens (N Brown), Griffiths (Brooks).

Saturday: Tigers v Long Buckby (3pm); Monday: Tigers v St Ives (3pm).