Rangers on the march

Coupland tucks away from the spot.
Coupland tucks away from the spot.
Have your say

Deeping Rangers stretched their unbeaten United Counties League Premier Division run to 12 matches with a 4-0 victory at home to Wellingborough Town on Saturday.

Prior to kick off a Sport Remembers the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme ceremony was held with representatives from the Langtoft, Deepings and District Royal British Legion laying a wreath and paying respects.

When the match got going the visitors soon found the home side intent on preserving their run as Rangers controlled the game.

It was no surprise when Rangers broke the deadlock on 25 minutes, Will Bird attacked down the left and picked out Schiavi, who drove his shot inside the far post past the dive of Aaron Bellairs.

That lead was doubled in the 64th minute from a corner after Bellairs had denied Dan Schiavi.

From the dead ball, David Burton-Jones rose highest among the crowd to power his header into the net.

Rangers went further ahead five minutes later, Schiavi collecting the ball in his own half, evading four challenges and bursting into the Doughboys’ box where his run was ended by a foul from Lewis Sheridan – Scott Coupland stepped up to blast home the penalty.

Deeping completed the scoring with a quarter of an hour left with a sizzling solo effort from Charlie Coulson.

With his back to goal he dummied and turned into space and past the attendant defenders into the box where he blasted past the advancing keeper to the delight of the crowd.

Deeping began by taking the match to their opponents.

Bird sent an early effort just wide, and when he rounded the Town keeper his effort was hacked off the line.

Schiavi should have done better with a weak strike while Bird, in the thick of the action again, struck the side netting.

Schiavi then saw another effort cleared on the line while Burton-Jones met Coulson’s curler but could only divert it over.

A rare visitors’ effort saw Deven Ellwood strike from long range without troubling home custodian Richard Stainsby.

Rangers started the second period as they had played the first, Coupland seeiung a shot blocked and Jason Kilbride’s header being gathered by Bellairs at the second attempt.

The Doughboys’ Dan Bendon pounced on a loose ball and curled his shot just over the bar, while fellow striker Justin Dowling harried the home defence where Flack just nipped in to clear the danger.

Wellingborough sub Jon Mitchell played in Albert Akinremi whose shot was straight at Stainsby.

The last chance of the game fell to the visitors as Dowling curled a free kick into the goal where Luke Hunning’s was back to head clear from the goal line.