Two months on and drought is over for Clarke

Celebrations as Holbeach beat Wellingborough. Photo: Steve Relf
Celebrations as Holbeach beat Wellingborough. Photo: Steve Relf
Have your say

UCL Premier Division - Holbeach United 3 Wellingborough Town 1

The goal drought is finally over for Holbeach United skipper Jamie Clarke.

He had been stuck on 13 for nearly two months since scoring in the top-of-the-table showdown against AFC Rushden & Diamonds.

For 12 games Clarke could not hit the target but all that changed after 79 minutes on Saturday.

Six months ago he got a debut-day double during the Tigers’ 5-0 demolition job at Wellingborough Town.

This time his far-post header cancelled out Jake Newman’s 33rd goal of the campaign.

Clarke’s leveller crucially set up a late comeback as Andrew Tidswell and Matt Warfield secured maximum points.

Holbeach felt they got what they deserved in the end – but it had looked like being another tale of missed chances.

Newman was guilty with a series of opportunities in the first half.

Nick Conroy denied him three times but Newman wasted three more chances to add to his tally.

Holbeach kept pressing for a breakthrough before Doughboys keeper Aaron Bellairs was eventually called into action, pushing out Charley Sanders’ drive at the near post.

Tidswell blasted over, Clarke squandered a couple of good chances and Sanders had a terrible miss from six yards.

Aynsley McDonald’s lob hit the top of the Holbeach bar but the deadlock was broken on 68 minutes.

Newman should have been stopped but he kept going into the 18-yard box and when a challenge was finally made, Warfield’s wild swing conceded a spot-kick.

Newman converted the penalty with Conroy going the wrong way.

Holbeach were heading for a second successive home defeat – but their spirit has never been in doubt.

Clarke got the equaliser and just four minutes later Tidswell buried the rebound when Ben Brown’s header came off the crossbar.

Warfield was on the spot after Mark Watts was harshly penalised for handling Clarke’s chip to seal the win.


4-3-1-2: Conroy 7; Worthington 7, Brown 7, Warfield 7, Parker 7; King 7, Kirby 7, Jack Smith 7 (sub Easey 77 mins); Tidswell 7; Clarke 7, Sanders 5 (sub Lambe 90 mins). Subs not used: Guyan, Delahoy, John Smith.


4-4-1-1: Bellairs; Watts, Rich, Randall, Powell; Pritchard, Spaughton, McDonald, Woodley (sub Oslar 71 mins); Bloomfield (sub Liebscher 90 mins); Newman. Sub not used: Tylutki.


Matthew Hopton.


Newman pen (68 mins, 0-1); Clarke (79 mins, 1-1); Tidswell (83 mins, 2-1); Warfield pen (88 mins, 3-1).


King, Warfield (fouls); Watts, Newman (dissent).




Dan Worthington – tough to single out anyone in a team effort but the young right-back looks a real talent with plenty of desire.


Oadby Town (H) – Saturday.