Saints get rewards at promotion rivals

Tydd St Mary
Tydd St Mary
Share this article
Have your say

Tydd St Mary came away from Division Three promotion rivals Thorpe Wood Rangers with maximum points after a very assured performance on Saturday.

The Saints started strongly and were 1-0 up within two minutes when a great ball in from skipper Nick Reims from the left was cleared to Stu Easey who beat a player to rifle home.

Thorpe Wood dragged a goal back to make it 1-1 on the quarter-hour mark when Tydd’s full-back Ian Thrower stretched to clear a ball and ended up putting it into the back of his own net.

Rangers then called for a penalty five minutes later when David Cooper and their forward collided but the appeal was waved away.

The Saints re-took the lead on 37 minutes when a free-kick from Easey was met by Dan Piccaver to head towards goal. Jason Powley nodded across the goal for Reims to head home from close range.

Piccaver was instrumental again just before half-time when he cleared a goalbound shot from the line.

On 60 minutes, man of the match Reims danced into the Thorpe Wood box, beat two players and clipped a great ball in for Scott Pemberton to score a diving header.

Tydd seemed comfortable and were looking the stronger side but on 83 minutes Thorpe Wood scored their second when a great run by Dan Leach saw him beat two players and smash the ball into the top corner of the net, giving Cooper no chance.

This could have been a nervous finish for the Saints but they restored the two-goal lead with just two minutes to play.

Luke Tordoff’s 35-yard piledriver was superbly saved but Reims whipped in the resulting corner to the far post where Lowe passed it into the path of Dan Clitheroe who rifled it home on the volley for a deserved final score of 4-2.

Tydd co-manager Dave Monaghan said: “That was a good performance.

“We showed a lot of determination and spirit to win. It’s nice when you win playing like that.”

Meanwhile, a seven-goal thriller saw Tydd St Mary beat top-of-the-table CR Eastern Province in the King’s Lynn Sunday League Division Two.

Luke Nicholson rifled a low shot into the net from just inside the box and the lead was doubled moments later when a route one ball from Chris Parker was met by in-form Tim Lowe, who rounded the keeper to slot home.

CR Eastern Province came under constant pressure with several Tydd chances going begging.

But just before half-time Tydd were pegged back and the second period saw the Saints on the back foot.

Centre-back Steve Wright made a last-ditch sliding clearance off the line to keep the score at 2-1.

However, moments later the league leaders made their pressure count and drew level.

With six minutes on the clock Lowe was fouled in the box. He stepped up and scored after an initial save from the keeper.

Not to be undone with four minutes left Province scored what looked to be a vital goal and a share of the points after a scramble in the area.

With the last attack of the game, right-back Sam Frost went past three players and delivered a cross into Daniel Monaghan who controlled the ball with one touch and then dispatched the ball into the top left-hand corner.

Assistant-manager Adam Pack said: “The pleasing thing was we made so many chances in the game.

“Everyone put in 100 per cent effort and we really did deserve three points.”