Proud record ends for Spalding United

Tom Waumsley
Tom Waumsley
  • Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division South - Coalville Town 2 Spalding United 1
Have your say

Despite a dominant second-half display, Spalding United suffered their first-ever defeat to Coalville Town at a blustery Owen Street on Saturday.

In six previous meetings since July 2014, the Tulips had registered five victories – including two this season (one in the FA Cup).

If only they could have exploited their second-half efforts on Saturday that proud record could have been extended.

Manager Marcus Ebdon said: “I truly believe that we deserved at least to draw after dominating second-half play.

“But we have got to switch ourselves on and put in that quality of effort for a full 90 minutes.

“When we do that we will win more games and keep in touch with the play-off situation.”

We have got to switch ourselves on and put in that quality of effort for a full 90 minutes. When we do that we will win more games and keep in touch with the play-off situation.

Marcus Ebdon

The Tulips suffered an early setback to the game when new signing James Tricks, on his first start since joining from Wellingborough Town, received a blow to his face after just 15 minutes and had to be taken to hospital with suspected damage to an eye socket.

He was replaced by Tom Waumsley and within a few minutes last season’s leading scorer had fired the Tulips into the lead.

Home keeper Sean Bowles made a complete hash of an attempted clearance outside the penalty area and Waumsley pounced to drive the ball home from 25 yards.

Dan Banister, busy as ever in the midfield, had seen an early effort from Ellis Humble’s free-kick deflected for a corner.

But the Tulips, battling in the face of a strong wind, were soon under pressure with Alex Troke breaking through to shoot into the side netting and Liam Walshe’s wind-assisted effort from 30 yards dipping just over Michael Duggan’s crossbar.

The Tulips custodian then thwarted the home team with a superb save at the foot of a post.

Coalville levelled the scores on 26 minutes.

Humble conceded a free-kick just outside the penalty area and Nat Watson’s delivery found its way to an unmarked Jake Woolley at the far post for a free shot at goal.

Six minutes later Troke took advantage of some ball juggling in the visitors’ area to fire the Ravens into the lead.

The Tulips battled back and only a firm punched clearance by Bowles denied Nathan Stainfield on the stroke of half-time.

The second period saw Spalding fully in control but wasteful in striking areas.

Banister went near on a couple of occasions and Waumsley’s glancing header from Dan Lawlor’s free-kick was agonisingly inches wide of a post.

Teenager Jonny Lockie came off the bench and added a breath of fresh air for the final 20 minutes with some speedy running and neat crosses from the right side. But a deserved leveller did not materialise.

Spalding: Duggan, Walker, Jackson, Humble, Stainfield, Lawlor, Banister, Murphy, Sanders (sub Lockie 70 mins), Graham, Tricks (sub Waumsley 15 mins). Sub not used: Lee.

Spalding face a trip to Gresley on Tuesday night.