FOOTBALL: Five-star Tigers storm into top four, Tulips win again

Have your say

AN IMPRESSIVE 5-0 win at Sleaford Town saw Holbeach United jump up to fourth in the UCL Premier Division on Tuesday night, while Spalding United beat Yaxley 2-1 and Deeping Rangers were edged out 2-1 at King’s Lynn Town.

Knowing a win would lift them above Newport Pagnell Town, the Tigers were home and hosed by half time at Eslaforde Park. Andrew Tidswell opened the scoring on 33 minutes, before Jonny Allen (40) and Dan Flack (45) put John Chand’s men 3-0 up at the break.

Luke Kennedy’s 48th minute penalty put the game beyond all doubt, with Paul Goodhand (81) completing the rout.

It’s now five wins on the trot for Holbeach, who haven’t conceded a goal since November 12.

At the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field, the Tulips edged a tight derby duel.

After a dull start, Mark Baines’ 12th minute bolt from the blue put the Cuckoos ahead. The former Deeping man stunned Nick Conroy with a 30-yard rocket.

But Spalding were level within a minute thanks to Troy Farden’s drive from the edge of the box.

Ex-Tulip Liam Harrold missed a decent chance to put Yaxley ahead soon after, before Ben Good’s second goal in as many games (48) put Andy Stanhope’s men in command.

The hosts’ Greg Smith headed a great chance wide in the closing stages, while Yaxley sub Dan Fountain was inches away from grabbing a late leveller.

It’s now two wins on the bounce for Spalding, who are tenth in the table.

Elsewhere, a late Robbie Harris strike sentenced Deeping to defeat at The Walks. All looked to be going to plan for the Linnets when Spencer Tinkler put through his own goal (24).

Rangers hadn’t read the script though and levelled through Josh Moreman ten minutes later. Tuncay Korkmaz’s men then wasted a spree of chances to take a prized scalp – the pick of them seeing Matt Heron rattle the post.

And Lynn made them pay, with Harris bagging a cruel winner ten minutes from time, ending Deeping’s four-game winning run.

In the Hinchingbrooke Cup, Bourne Town suffered extra time heartbreak against Cranfield United in Round One.

Goals from Jake Mason (9) and Jason Kilbride (37) put Darren Munton’s Wakes in a commanding position at the Abbey Lawn, but a quick-fire double from Nathaniel Peacock (52 & 54) levelled matters.

Sam Evans then put Cranfield in front after 67 minutes, but Ashley Firth (76) equalised for Bourne to force the additional period.

It wasn’t to be for the hosts though, with Evans’ second strike of the tie (95) enough to send the visitors through.

That makes it two defeats in four days for Munton’s men, who were humbled 5-0 at Bugbrooke St Michaels in UCL Division One on Saturday.

Seb Hood’s red card for handball on 21 minutes was the catalyst for the heavy defeat.