Five-star display by Tulips

Pat Rayment
Pat Rayment
Have your say

Spalding United 5 Kidsgrove Athletic 0

This time it really didn’t matter how many chances had been wasted by Spalding United.

Manager Pat Rayment could see the funny side when it was suggested the Tulips should have scored 15 instead of 
settling for five goals.

But he knows there won’t be an easier afternoon than this.

Midway through the first half they had already gone 1-0 up when Kidsgrove Athletic were reduced to 10 men for Jacob Sturgess’ professional foul on Andrew Tidswell.

When the lead was doubled at the start of the second half, it was simply a case of how many opportunities Spalding would put away.

They recorded a big win but the tally probably should have reached double figures.

Last season Kidsgrove got four points from 20 away games and finished at the 
bottom of the table.

A third successive away 
defeat this term suggests they will be struggling again.

The performance was so poor that you have to wonder whether they would get many wins at a lower level.

Spalding have been used to beating teams like this but it was another case of job done.

The tone was set after 
only 13 seconds when Tidswell forced Joseph Hemmings into 
his first save and soon afterwards the Tulips striker was denied by the near post from a tight angle.

The opening goal came on 17 minutes as Ash Burbeary delivered a left-wing cross which Mitch Griffiths nodded home at the far post.

Griffiths released Tidswell who was setting his sights for a shot on goal when Sturgess pulled him down on the edge of the penalty box. It had to be a red card and off he went.

Kern Miller’s header was hooked off the line but there was a scare when Chris Smith’s lob was kept out by Michael Duggan.

A minute into the second half, though, it was effectively game over.

Jamie Thurlbourne put in a left-wing cross which 
Griffiths headed back for Lewis Webb to convert.

Burbeary made it 3-0 with a far-post volley and just two minutes later Spalding got their fourth goal.

Tidswell was clear again but Thomas Hackett brought him down and Thurlbourne slotted in from the penalty spot.

It looked to be one of those days for Tidswell when he wouldn’t score, despite a 
series of chances.

However, he rolled in the rebound with 10 minutes left after Miller’s header had been blocked following a corner from Thurlbourne.

There was still time for teenage substitute Lewis 
McKue to crash a shot off the bar and Webb somehow failed to score again.

Chances went begging all afternoon but Spalding were never going to be punished.


4-4-2: Duggan 7; L Thurlbourne 8, Miller 8, Leary 8, Jackson 7; 
Griffiths 8 (sub Bore 68 mins, 7), Webb 8, Hall 7 (sub McKue 65 mins, 7), J Thurlbourne 8; Tidswell 7, 
Burbeary 7 (sub Waumsley 65 mins, 7).


4-4-2: Hemmings; Forbes, 
Sturgess, Mangold, Ratcliffe (sub Jones 60 mins); Joe Woolley, Gill (sub Dunkley 70 mins), Hackett, Fox; Smith (sub Spence 60 mins), Jack Woolley. Sub not used: Shaw.


Christopher Hunter.


Griffiths (17 mins, 1-0); Webb (46 mins, 2-0); Burbeary (58 mins, 3-0); J Thurlbourne pen (60 mins, 4-0); Tidswell (80 mins, 5-0).


Sturgess (23 mins, professional foul).


Hackett (foul); Spence (unsporting behaviour).




Luke Thurlbourne – solid at the back and looked to push forward.


Coalville Town (A) – Tuesday.