Double delight for Tydd St Mary’s cup kings

Celebration time for the Tydd St Mary squad
Celebration time for the Tydd St Mary squad
Share this article
  • ChromaSport & Trophies Peterborough & District League
Have your say

Tydd St Mary FC made it two cup wins out of two to lift the Intermediate Shield.

The Saints were underdogs once again for Friday’s final against Whittlesey Athletic A from a division above.

They will all look back at this season in years to come with fond memories.

Saints manager Carl Wilson

However, it was Tydd who started the stronger on the Yaxley 4G surface and they had a goal disallowed for offside when man of the match Dan Piccaver headed home after just four minutes.

Both teams competed well in a tough-tackling first half but Saints edged it performance-wise.

Tydd deservedly took the lead on 56 minutes. Stu Easey floated a corner in from the right that was half dealt with by a defender. It fell to Will Kirkham on the edge of the box to meet it on the full volley to fly into the net via a slight deflection for 1-0.

Whittlesey piled on the pressure as the second half went on and came back into the game towards the end.

However, in stoppage-time, the Saints finished the game in style as they clicked into another gear.

Paul Clarke fed the ball in for Dale Parnell to run onto, beat a defender and then he slotted past the keeper at his near post for 2-0.

In the fourth added minute the Saints made it 3-0 when the keeper cleared the ball to the halfway line to Jason Powley. He set himself, saw the keeper off his line and chipped him from 45 yards.

Tydd manager Carl Wilson said: “I just want to say a big thank you to all of the lads.

“Two cup final wins in one season do not come around very often.

“Every one of them should be proud of what they have achieved.

“They will all look back at this season in years to come with fond memories.

“I hope they enjoy it and relish it.

“It is a real privilege to be their gaffer.”

Meanwhile, Pinchbeck United Reserves won the PFA Challenge Cup.

Mircea Vechiv claimed the second-half winner for the only goal against Spalding United Reserves.

Pinchbeck remain ahead of promotion-chasing teams Whittlesey and Netherton United in second place in the Premier Division.

Tony Edwards (2), Nick Bishop, Bradley Murrell and Liam Ogden netted in their 5-1 win at Uppingham Town on Saturday.

Pinchbeck beat Holbeach United Reserves 3-1 thanks to goals from Murrell, Ogden and player-manager Ian Dunn on Tuesday night.

Spalding Town boosted their push for promotion with an eight-goal performance.

They kept their chances alive of catching Glinton & Northborough for second spot in Division Two.

Marcus Parry claimed a hat-trick in the demolition of Pinchbeck United Reserves. Also on target were Danny Kingman (2), Scott Burrell, Steven Robinson and Cymon Lambe.

With three matches to play Town are nine points behind Glinton & Northborough who have already completed their fixtures.

Town also have seven goals to make up in those three matches, starting on Saturday at Hampton Sport.

The midweek trip to Whittlesey Athletic A will be followed by the home game against Thorney Reserves.

Last weekend Town won 9-1 at Leverington Sports Reserves with goals from Glen Wells (4), another hat-trick for Parry and Lambe’s double.

Parry is two goals short of a half-century this term.