Bourne Town knocked out in penalty shoot-out

Bourne Town v Oakham United
Bourne Town v Oakham United
  • Wakes led three times but Oakham hit back for derby win
Have your say

ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Knockout Cup first round - Bourne Town 3 Oakham United 3 (after extra-time, 90 mins 2-2, Oakham won 3-1 on penalties)

Goalkeeper Simon Dalton was the Oakham United hero as they progressed in a dramatic penalty shoot-out to avenge a heavy defeat by Bourne Town two weeks before when league points were at stake.

Dalton saved penalties from Glenn Spearink, James Zealand and Andy Moss before converting Oakham’s fifth kick to take his side through.

Ben Easson and Zak Munton scored the first kicks for Oakham and Bourne respectively but five of the next kicks were saved.

Wakes keeper Alex Brown denied both Michael Nelson and Richard Nelson either side of Gavin Cooke’s successful conversion.

In the match proper Bourne took a tenth-minute lead when Kieran Blanchard’s through-ball dissected the visiting defence, allowing Spearink to run clear and beat Dalton with a confident finish.

Oakham were on level terms within a minute as Seb Archer-Fern found Ash Civil whose ball across goal found Easson who beat Brown with an angled drive.

After 21 minutes the visiting rearguard gave Munton time to turn and create space in the box before firing just inside the far post.

Oakham levelled five minutes into the second half with Adam Rotherty turning cleverly in the box before beating Brown with a low shot.

Dalton saved with his foot after Spearink worked his way in from the right while at the other end Max Avory was well placed to head off the line from Easson.

Play became increasing stretched as defenders tired but the deadlock remained as the tie went into extra-time.

Bourne were ahead again five minutes into the first period as Dalton failed to hold a stinging Spearink shot from distance and Munton pounced to slot home.

Two minutes into the second half of extra-time Dan Smith was penalised for handball, Easson converting from the spot.

Bourne almost snatched victory in added time but Dalton stood up well to block Tom Cardall’s well-struck effort.

Bourne: Brown, Avory, Zealand, Smith, Wells (D Wilson), Moss, Munton, S Wilson, Spearink, Bottreill (Rook), Blanchard (Cardall).



Knockout Cup first round: Bourne 3 Oakham 3 (aet, 90 mins 2-2, pens 1-3; Oakham at home to Olney), Kirby Muxloe 3 Woodford 2 (Kirby Muxloe at home to Holbeach or Blackstones), Lutterworth 0 Oadby 1 (Oadby away to Rushden & Higham).


First round: Peterborough Northern Star 3 Stewarts & Lloyds Corby 0, Thrapston 0 Yaxley 4.