Vikings stalwarts are spot on

Action from Holbeach reserves' win at Crowland. Photo by Tim Wilson
Action from Holbeach reserves' win at Crowland. Photo by Tim Wilson
Have your say

Langtoft United secured their third Premier Division win of the season as they ended ChromaSport & Trophies Peterborough & District League leaders Peterborough Sports Reserves’ 100 per cent start at Manor Way.

It was a hard-fought 1-0 win by what is very much a new-look Langtoft side this season.

However it was two Vikings stalwarts who provided the key moments from the penalty spot at opposite ends of the pitch.

Veteran Paul Kirk’s coolly taken second-half penalty separated the sides at the end but only after keeper Andrew Isabell had preserved three points with a save from Jamie Graham’s spot-kick.

In the scramble that followed, Isabell took a kick to the face that resulted in a straight red card for Sports’ Kane Gilbert.

Langtoft manager Ryan Hunnings said: “It was a great team effort.

“The spirit in the squad has been good and the lads are enjoying their football at the moment.

“We’re still evolving but this is a good indication that the hard work is beginning to come together.

“We had a few lads missing and the reserve lads that stepped up showed we have a good amount of talent at the club.”

However Langtoft’s reserves suffered a day they will quickly want to forget when they were hammered 13-1 by Sutton Bridge in the Chairman Championship Shield.

Two substitutes made the difference for Holbeach United’s reserves against Crowland Town in the President Shield.

The home side led 1-0 at the break but lost 3-2 with Gary Chappell’s effort being backed up by Macauley Grimwood and John Smith who both came on.

Crowland’s marksmen were Oliver Hurford and Stephen Wells.

Tony Edwards got five goals in Pinchbeck United’s 8-1 win over Riverside but Deeping Rangers’ reserves lost 8-3 at Netherton United.

Meanwhile, Tydd St Mary suffered their first defeat of the season against early Division Three championship favourites Bretton North End.

Bretton took the lead after just 10 minutes but the Saints then felt hard done by as the second goal came when a player sustained a head injury but the referee played on.

Tydd felt aggrieved again when a blatant handball gave an advantage for the third Bretton goal. They made it 4-0 after 70 minutes to wrap up the victory.

Four late goals by Swineshead Institute secured victory in the Boston League Premier Division.

It was a nightmare ending for Billinghay Athletic who were leading 1-0 as Saturday’s game entered the final 15 minutes.

The home side hit the crossbar and missed two close-range chances before being punished by those late strikes from Richard Barker (2), Kieran Rose and Bert Snaith.

Shane Brackenbury, a close-season transfer from Sibsey, experienced a mixed debut for Wyberton’s reserves at Benington.

He scored in a 2-1 away win but got himself red-carded.

Liam Shinn grabbed the other Wyberton goal.

Pointon went goal-crazy against a sorry Kirton Town side with strikers Ian Jacquest (4) and Gary Handley (3) on target in an 8-1 trouncing.

An eight-goal thriller at Swineshead Reserves saw Fosdyke beaten in Division One.

Fosdyke were 3-0 down when new signing Reece Fletcher and Leon Marsh replied.

Swineshead made it 5-2 and Matthew Scott headed a consolation.

Institute’s match-winners were Jack Houghton, Ben Houghton, Andrew Bullman, Tom Ruck and an own-goal.

FC Kirton lost 5-3 away to Fishtoft’s reserves in Division Two.

A single goal proved enough for Holbeach Bank at home to Swineshead A.

The reserve teams of Pointon and Kirton Town were involved in another goal bonanza but the home side failed to match their senior side’s result, going down 9-2.

Pointon’s only consolation came in the form of goals from Luke Thomas and Robert Rowlatt.

They also suffered a bad ankle injury to Sam Elliff who was forced to endure an uncomfortable wait for the ambulance to arrive.

Old Doningtonians beat Boston Titans 4-0 in Division Three.

Andy Barnett kept a clean sheet while his 16-year-old son Luke had a hand in two of the goals with assists. The goals came from Shawn Scott, Ben Pell, Daniel Clay and Ricky Mason.