Langtoft skipper leads by example

Action from Spalding Town's cup win
Action from Spalding Town's cup win
Have your say

Skipper Jobi Froud struck twice as Langtoft United ended a run of eight games without a win since the end of September.

The Vikings hit a tough patch when the squad was hit with injuries and suspensions.

So Saturday’s ChromaSport & Trophies Peterborough & District League Premier Division trip to Sawtry was a must-win game before a tricky cup tie at Wisbech Town Reserves and a home match with fourth- placed Holbeach United Reserves.

Froud opened the scoring after good work by left-back James Duffy.

The key moment came after the break as Froud pounced on a short goal-kick, robbing Sawtry centre-half Taylor Hunter on the edge of his 18-yard box.

Froud was pulled to the floor, Hunter was sent off and a free-kick was given inches outside the box.

As Froud was about to shoot the ball rolled forward in the wind, the free-kick was fired into the wall and bounced back to hit a left-footed volley into the top corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance.

Langtoft manager Ryan Hunnings said: “This was an important day for us, it feels like the monkey is finally off our backs.

“I know we’ve not lost all of the games in the last couple of months but you do start to doubt yourself when the results start to go against you.

“However, the lads have been brilliant, they’ve always been at training and they’ve been looking to improve their own performances.

“We’ve also managed to finalise two transfers and the two lads will offer us a lot of quality and options, but the existing lads have stepped up their commitment and efforts.

“The defence were brilliant, they never let the ball bounce and were always on the front foot. They seemed like they’d decided before the game that they wouldn’t be conceding.

“I was really pleased with the commitment of everyone. It felt like we were back to the high standard level we’d set ourselves at the

start of the season.”

Tydd St Mary returned to winning ways on Saturday when they progressed to the Intermediate Cup semi-final at the expense of Division Two side Thorney Reserves.

Tim Lowe went close for the lower-league outfit when he lobbed the keeper on 15 minutes, only to see the wind hold the ball up on the line and Thorney cleared the threat.

Phil Franklin was denied when a rasping shot was superbly tipped over the bar.

However, Tydd made the breakthrough on 36 minutes when Lowe sprinted down the wing and squared a perfect ball across the box for Franklin to slam home.

The Saints were pegged back 10 minutes after the restart as Thorney began to drag themselves back into the game.

However, Tydd re-took the lead when Nick Reims floated a free-kick into the box that eluded everyone apart from Franklin at the far post who slid the ball into the net for 2-1.

Paul Clarke then scored the best goal of the game in the 82nd minute when Will Kirkham’s pass down the right wing found him on the edge of the box. Clarke beat two players and the keeper to coolly slot home.

Thorney were not done yet, though, and scored a scrappy goal with just three minutes to play.

In time added on, they struck the upright but Tydd held on for a superb win.

Spalding Town booked a quarter-final place in the PFA Challenge Cup thanks to a 2-1 home victory over Oakham United Reserves.

On target were Cymon Lambe and Markus Parry in the second-round tie.

A penalty shoot-out was needed to send Pinchbeck United’s reserves through at the expense of Peterborough Polonia.

Steven Jucikas’ first-half opener had been cancelled out but Pinchbeck won 5-4 on spot-kicks.

Holbeach Bank have been persuaded to carry on after attempting to withdraw their Division Two side in the Boston League.

However, they decided not to go ahead with their planned fixture at Pointon Reserves due to a lack of players.

Spalding Harriers’ dismal run continued with a 4-1 home defeat to Pointon A in Division Three. Scott McPherson hit the consolation.

Sutterton continue their struggle to get points on the board in Division One as they fell to another heavy defeat at Old Doningtonians. Chris Wing, Martin North and Ollie Gedney hit hat-tricks in the 11-0 rout.