Four red cards in Pinchbeck cup win

HELPING OUT: Holbeach United A in their new sponsored shirts from Quantum Self Drive Ltd. Photo (TIM WILSON): SG101015-103TW
HELPING OUT: Holbeach United A in their new sponsored shirts from Quantum Self Drive Ltd. Photo (TIM WILSON): SG101015-103TW
Share this article
  • Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup second round
Have your say

Pinchbeck United extended their unbeaten run to seven games with two extra-time goals to knock out Langtoft United in the Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup.

A fourth successive clean sheet provided the platform with the strikes coming from Brad Murrell and Liam Ogden.

Two players from each side were shown red cards but Pinchbeck went on to book a third-round trip to Railway Athletic on Saturday, November 7.

Langtoft’s return to County Cup action, after a self-imposed exile of several seasons, was short-lived.

Pinchbeck dominated the opening 45 minutes and forced Langtoft keeper Dan Smith into a series of saves.

Langtoft did threaten a breakthrough, through a Dan Morris long-range shot and Lee Mills’ corner, but these were the only highlights in a poor first half

from the Vikings.

They improved in the second period with Mills and Tony Wooding looking dangerous down the left and starting to get crosses into the Pinchbeck box.

The game changed when Dan Morris broke free of the Pinchbeck defence and was brought down by keeper Jordon McCready outside the box for a straight red card.

Langtoft sniffed the win and flooded forward but Mills was given his marching orders for a two-footed tackle.

What had been an even-tempered game then took another turn for the worse when Langtoft’s Steven Slack and Pinchbeck centre-half Tom Brooks tangled in the box.

The referee again reached to his pocket and produced two more reds, reducing both sides to nine men.

The breakthrough came from a Pinchbeck corner but Langtoft refused to be beaten and could have have forced an equaliser through Sean Treagus but his long-range shot was well saved by the stand-in keeper.

The final nail in the home side’s coffin came when Tony Wooding was judged to have committed a foul in the box and the penalty was calmly slotted home.

Langtoft manager Ryan Hunnings said: “I thought the first half was tough for us. I wanted to try a new formation but unfortunately it failed.

“When we switched back to a more traditional 4-4-2 in the second half we started to play the football I know we’re capable of.

“Unfortunately the game was ruined in the second half and ended up being a very disorientated affair.

“I’d also like to publicly apologise as I didn’t cover myself in glory as I too was sent off for a disagreement with the referee in the closing minutes of extra-time.”

A fifth successive win booked Tydd St Mary’s place in the draw for the next round of the Junior Cup, beating Boston League Premier Division side Billinghay Athletic.

The Saints were thankful to keeper David Cooper and central defender Daniel Piccaver for ensuring they didn’t fall behind early on.

On nine minutes Stuart Easey’s corner was guided into the net by Piccaver, who was acting captain for the day, to make it 1-0.

Tim Lowe doubled Tydd’s lead on 39 minutes after Easey’s effort was saved.

Five minutes later Easey made it 3-0 following Ian Thrower’s through-ball.

Billinghay clawed one back before half-time but the Saints continued to create chances.

A controversial incident midway through the second half saw Tydd front man Joe Harrison sent off following provocation from a defender who only received a yellow card.

The 10 men found their lead cut to a single goal with only four minutes to play but an equaliser never looked on the cards.

Coach Dave Monaghan said: “We showed fantastic commitment and desire by playing some great football at times.”


Second round: AFC Holton-le-Clay 1 Limestone Rangers 3, AFC Louth 6 Scotter 2, All Star Panthers 0 Ruskington 2, Appleby Frodingham 5 Beehive 1, AFC Crown & Arrows 2 Benington 3, Birchwood 3 Moulton Harrox 2, Caythorpe 2 Ruston Sports 4, Crosby Colts 1 Hykeham 13, Crowle Town Colts 0 Cleethorpes Development 4, Epworth 1 Barnetby 0, Fishtoft 2 White Swan Barrowby 3, Horncastle 3 Alford 0, KRC Deeping 0 Fulbeck 9, Langtoft 0 Pinchbeck 2 (aet), Long Sutton 3 Baston 5, Market Rasen 0 College Wanderers 6, New Holland Villa 0 Chapel Swifts 3, North Somercotes 2 Mablethorpe 3, Old Leake 0 Wyberton 4, Pointon 4 Stamford Lions 4 (aet; Pointon won 3-1 on pens), Railway Athletic 6 Cherry Willingham 1, Saxilby 0 Stamford Belvedere 3, Skegness United 4 Old Doningtonians 1 (aet), Spilsby 1 Skegness Town 3 (aet), Sutton Bridge 3 Lincoln Railway 1, Swineshead 3 Heckington Millers 2, Tetney Rovers 2 Coningsby 0, Tydd St Mary 3 Billinghay 2.