LOCAL FOOTBALL: Super Saints tame Tigers

Have your say

TYDD ST MARY 7 HOLBEACH UTD A 2: UNBEATEN Tydd stay second in Peterborough and District League Division Five after a crushing derby win.

Aaron Parker capitalised on some sloppy defending to open the scoring early on, before slotting home the second after fine work from Gary Booth, Stephen Cousins and Mark Greenacre.

It was 3-0 on 62 minutes as Booth’s speculative volley from 30 yards found the net, then Parker completed a first-ever Saints hat-trick after rounding the keeper.

Danny Hunt pulled one back for the Tigers, but veteran hitman Cousins restored Tydd’s four-goal advantage with a clinical penalty.

Hunt replied for Holbeach with a penalty of their own, only for captain Cousins to net his second.

The scoring wasn’t complete though, as Tydd keeper Shane Watts buried a late penalty to make it 7-2.



LATE goals from Aidan Moore and Ryan Wheeler assured all three points as ten-man Pinchbeck railed took the Division Two spoils.

Luke Harrison opened the scoring mid-way through the first half with a wonder strike from 20 yards out. He nipped the ball from the toe of the left back before bringing it down with his right and bending into the roof of the net.

Dan Thornalley was then shown his second yellow card and given his marching orders after a foul that left many, including the Crowland players, questioning the referee’s consistency.

From the free kick Harrison slipped in his attempted clearance and presented Jobi Froud with a easy chance to level from six yards.

Pinchbeck regrouped and finally made the most of one of Matt Hempsall’s superb free kicks when Moore rose to guide the ball home. Wheeler then took advantage of the stunned Crowland defence as he was able to break clear and finish.

There was still time for debutante keeper Joe Broomfield to save a penalty after Harrison was also adjudged to have fouled inside the box.



SUTTON got three excellent Division One points in extremely windy conditions.

With the wind behind them, Sutton led 2-0 at half time thanks to an own goal and a 25-yard thunderbolt from Matty Cawthorn.

Netherton replied after the break, but the prolific Jake Clitheroe made it 3-1. Netherton did make it 3-2 with five minutes left, but Sutton held on for the three points.



NEWLY-FORMED Harrox put in a fine performance on their first outing to beat a side that went unbeaten last year.

Harrox started well and took the lead with a neat finish from Baz Nyang after only 20 minutes.

Stamford worked hard to get into the game but found themselves further behind when a corner was headed home powerfully from Richard Cook.

Lee Hudson then headed home Darren Cundy’s cross to make it 3-0 at the break.

The second half saw Stamford reduce the lead with a fine finish from ex-Harrox player, but from the re-start Hudson lobbed the keeper from with a stunner from the halfway line. Cundy later gave away a penalty which Martyn Lakin nearly saved.