LOCAL FOOTBALL ROUND-UP: Garner grabs a stunning winner

Share this article
Have your say

TYDD ST MARY 3 WESTSIDE RANGERS 2: Depleted Tydd battled back to earn a courageous win over Boston and District League Division Two promotion rivals Westside on Saturday.

With a squad of just 11 men – including two new signings – it was the Saints who started the better and Daniel Chapman fired them ahead on 30 minutes.

Rangers found their stride though, and levelled just before the half-time whistle.

It got even better for the away side too, as they slammed home a free-kick to go 2-1 ahead.

But Martin Cherry pulled off a great penalty save to prevent them running away with it – and Tydd managed to level when Tim Lowe’s cross was cruelly deflected home by a Westside defender.

With time running out, Gary Booth fed Mark Garner, who smashed a stunning strike into the top right hand corner to win the game for the Saints.

Stand-in boss Steve Cousins said: “With so many players out this week, I’ve got to give credit to the lads for digging deep and pulling off a great result.”

Peterborough & District League



LUKE Harrison notched his first goal in nearly two years to help in-form Pinchbeck ease past Parkside.

The scoring was opened inside ten minutes thanks to Ash Wilson’s penalty, which was won by the impressive Jake Grogan.

Sam Atkinson made it two with a delightful half volley from the edge of the area.

Within minutes Wilson had the chance to double his tally from the spot after Grogan was again fouled in the box.

This time the keeper got a hand to it, but Harrison was first to react to fire the ball in the top corner.

Although they failed to add to their tally after the break, Pinchbeck will be pleased that they kept a first clean sheet of the season, with captain Matt Hempsol organising his troops well.

United have now taken ten points from their last four games and are just five points off the top.

Spalding Sunday League



NINE goals were scored as Hole In The Wall earned an impressive advantage in the first leg of this Mont Pell Trophy clash.

Scott Burrell bundled home their opener from Gavin Bailey’s long throw, but Murrow were soon level.

Hole’s lead was restored when Michael Kearns placed the ball past the keeper from ten yards, only for a close-range strike to put Bell back on terms.

Murrow then blasted a penalty over the bar, before Kearns’ second from close in put Hole back ahead. Substitute Simon Jackson gave Wall some breathing space with a fine cross-shot and Dave Ball nodded number five.

Kearns then tapped home his hat-trick strike into the net to make it 6-2, but a late Murrow strike keeps them in with a shout of a second leg comeback.