LOCAL FOOTBALL: Pinchbeck delighted to book semi spot

Latest football news from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,spaldingtoday.co.uk/football, @lfpsport on Twitter
Latest football news from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,spaldingtoday.co.uk/football, @lfpsport on Twitter
Have your say

Pinchbeck United put their league problems behind them as they booked a place in the PFA Senior Cup semi-final with a 6-2 win at Ketton on Saturday.

Edgaras Buzas, Aidan Moore (2), Jack Wycherley, Lee Haslam and sub Adam Braybrook grabbed the goals for United in the last eight clash, against a Ketton side that sit seventh in Peterborough League Division One.

Premier Division opposition await next for Pinchbeck, who will travel to Sawtry in the semis on March 15.

United’s assistant boss Gary Coomes said: “We were pretty rusty for half an hour, but once we got going the writing was on the wall for the home side. They battled hard, but in the end were well beaten. It is great to reach a cup semi final.”

Buzas got the ball rolling with a close-range finish after a classy move involving Moore and Wycherley. Moore then made it 2-0 with an audacious backheel after his initial header came back off the bar, before Wycherley all but ended the game as a contest with a third before the break.

It was 4-0 early in the second half thanks to Moore’s second, then Haslam made it five from the move of the match that saw Ollie Gedney, Moore and Buzas all play a part.

Ketton pulled two goals back, but Pinchbeck struck again when sub Braybrook rolled back the years to curl in a late sixth.

Pinchbeck: King, Eyett, Liam Harrison (Braybrook 50) Dickinson, Gardner, Fairweather, Haslam, Wycherley, (Luke Harrison 70), Edgaras, Moore, Gedney. Not used: Butler.

• Simkus Virginijus’ sole strike earned Crowland Town a 1-0 Peterborough Premier Division win at Sawtry.

Also in the top flight, a Ryan Birtles treble fired Deeping Rangers Reserves to a 4-1 triumph at Ramsey Town. Thomas Smith got the other Deeping goal.

In Division One, Thomas Brooks’ strike earned Holbeach United Reserves a 1-1 draw at Peterborough Sports Reserves, while two Dan Woods goals helped ten-man Moulton Harrox Reserves hold Warboys Town 2-2.

Both Darren Clarkson and Wayne Congreve saw red for Harrox.

Also in Division One, Joe Sutton’s strike secured Sutton Bridge United a 1-1 home draw with AFC Stanground.