LOCAL FOOTBALL: Harrox aiming to end cup hoodoo

Cup kings: Spalding Sunday League side Cowbit celebrate after beating Brittania Revolution 1-0 in the final of the John Chappell Shield at the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field on Sunday. Steve Paling (below) fired the only goal in extra time. Photos (to order call 01775 765433): SG270311-249TW, 242TW and 243TW (TIM WILSON)
Cup kings: Spalding Sunday League side Cowbit celebrate after beating Brittania Revolution 1-0 in the final of the John Chappell Shield at the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field on Sunday. Steve Paling (below) fired the only goal in extra time. Photos (to order call 01775 765433): SG270311-249TW, 242TW and 243TW (TIM WILSON)
Have your say

Rutland Rangers 1 Moulton Harrox 3: HARROX booked a PFA Senior final at London Road as they came from behind to dump out the holders.

Danny Woods hit a brace and Josh Ford was also on target as Moulton set up a final with Ramsey Town, provisionally arranged for May 2 at the home of Peterborough United.

It’ll be the third time in five years that Harrox have reached the final, but they are yet to lift the trophy.

And despite seeing his side lose twice to their Peterborough Premier Division rivals in the league, boss Martyn Cundy reckons Harrox have a fine chance of landing their first-ever Senior Cup crown.

He said: “I think we are much better suited to playing at London Road now than we have been in previous seasons and we know we are capable of giving anyone a game when at our best.

“I would say it is a real 50/50 final between arguably the two form teams of the second half of the season. I just hope we make it a game worthy of being played at London Road.”

Last season’s double winners Rutland took an eighth-minute lead through Craig Welbourn’s scuffed effort, but this only spurred Moulton on.

Woods levelled the scores and then immediately doubled his money to make it 2-1.

Ford sealed the win on 55 minutes after neat approach play by Woods and man-of-the-match Joe Townsend.



BOBBY Patterson scored after just 35 seconds as Pinchbeck reeled in the Peterborough Premier Division leaders a little more.

The United skipper headed home an unstoppable effort from an early corner as his title-chasing side delivered a four-some display.

Playing some cracking football, Pinchbeck had the league’s basement side chasing shadows all afternoon.

Free-scoring midfielder Lee Marshall doubled the scoreline from another corner – and it was soon 3-0 from a familiar source.

This time defender Liam Harrison rose to head home from a set-piece, all but wrapping the game up by half-time.

The second half was more of the same – and it could easily have been double figures but for the framework of the goal and some last ditch defending.

Jamie Cartlidge got Pinchbeck’s final goal to seal a comfortable victory, which leaves them six points behind leaders Uppingham with four games in hand.

Pinchbeck would like to extend their congratulations to local rivals Moulton Harrox for reaching the PFA Cup final, and wish them good luck on the day.

Derby dates: Moulton Harrox v Pinchbeck Utd (April 12); Pinchbeck Utd v Moulton Harrox (April 27).



SLICK Pinchbeck eased to victory in this top five tussle.

Darren Clarkson opened the scoring, skipping through the defence and passing the ball into the net past a stranded keeper.

Jason Chilvers, who has a habit of only scoring spectacular goals, then found the top corner with a curling effort from the edge of the box.

It was three when Ash Wilson thumped home an effort from the same spot just before the break.

In the second half the trend continued. Clarkson scored his tenth of the season when he headed in the rebound from his original effort, before Aaron Cooper jumped off the bench to score from close range at the death.

On this form, Pinchbeck are looking good for third in Combination Division One.

Boston & District League



TYDD were forced to settle for a share of the spoils on Saturday.

After making the long journey to Skegness for a 12.45pm kick off, the Saints started slowly and soon fell 2-0 down.

But with Ash Godfrey poaching a rebound and Steve Cousins heading in from a corner it was all square at the break.

Skegness were gifted a third early in the second period, but Godfrey struck his second to restore parity again.

Tydd then saw countless penalty appeals waved away, as they settled for a point.



YELLOW lost out in this top of the table clash as Netherton hung onto their unbeaten record.

Holbeach started well and took the lead when an Ed Booth throw was flicked towards George Stainfield, who climbed well to head home.

Netherton responded immediately though, levelling with a left footed effort from the edge of the box.

Kiran Bhondi fired into the side netting as Holbeach attempted to battle back, but the home side made it 2-1 before the break with a good finish.

Holbeach dominated the early minutes of the second half, with Booth and Alex Vassallo both going close.

Stainfield, Craig Weightman, Ash Hicks and Danny Wilshire also had chances, but it stayed 2-1.



THE ROARING young Tigers stormed into the cup final.

In what was a fantastic team effort from the off, Ewan McCracken gave Holbeach the perfect start with a goal in three minutes.

Moments later Cameron Oko made it 2-0, putting the Tigers in command.

It was all but over just before half time Holbeach as Mikey Bailey’s perfect corner deflected in off a Leverington player.

Leverington pushed on after the break, but keeper Charlie King stood firm.

At the other end, the Tigers wrapped up the win when William Taylor’s cross was headed home by Lewis Curson.



SPALDING produced their best team performance of the season to beat the league leaders.

Two early goals from Reagan Brown gave Spalding the perfect start and Alfie Davies nearly made it 3-0 with the last kick of the first half when he hit the post.

It was three straight after the break after good work from Brown down the left crossing the ball for Sam Smith to head home.

That spurred City into a comeback and they hit two quick goals to make it 3-2, but another headed goal for Smith secured the win.

City tried to get back into the game but Sam Young won the physical battle in midfield and Alistar Morgan and Jake Scampion stood strong in defence.



A LATE Ash Sandall strike settled this cracking contest.

Dons took the lead inside two minutes, as Billy Bristow drove the ball home with a tremendous left-footed strike.

Wyberton battled back and put Dons under the cosh, before an own goal eventually hauled them level.

Bristow relieved the pressure with another fine finish, only for Wyberton to force another leveller.

However, Sandall raced onto a Bristow pass to secure the win in the closing stages.

Man of the match: Deacon Hempsall.



HOLBEACH took their league form into the cup as they marched into the semi-finals.

In a very physical game, it took a wonder goal from Stefan Gostic to get the young Tigers in the mood.

Gostic found space well before letting rip with a right-foot thunderbolt that dipped just under the bar. However, Wisbech pulled one back before the break.

Holbeach looked better at the break though, with man-of-the-match Scott Waterfall stopping everything at the back.

But parity was short-lived as Holbeach’s substitute right back Joe Fowler tapped home from a corner.

With a few walking wounded out on the field, Holbeach played on the counter attack and wrapped the win up through Brandon England.



JORDAN Olive smashed home a dramatic late winner as Holbeach reached their first ever cup final.

Holbeach went into the semi-final off the back of a tremendous performance in the last eight.

The defence of Eni Bashua, Joe Ford and keeper Matthew Wilshire were well-organised to repel the visitors’ attacks, while midfielders Olive, Harry Collishaw and Lewis Turner battled hard to supply striker Liam Sandall – who hit the bar in a goalless first period.

Eventually, Kyle Marshall broke the deadlock from the angle of the box to give Holbeach a deserved lead.

Despite the best efforts of Thomas Tyler and Josh Balding, a defensive mix-up eventually saw Estover equalise through an own goal with only minutes left to play.

With extra time looming, Olive stepped up to secure the young Tigers’ passage.



THE Tigers completed a quick-fire double over Wisbech with this league success.

Skipper Dan Mason set up Josh Lawrence for a cool opener, before Cam Lee smashed home an 18-yard thunderbolt to make it two.

Holbeach then made it 3-0 before the break, as Lee found Lawrence to fire in his second.

The young Tigers eased off the gas after the break, but Stefan Gostic lobbed home a super fourth late on.